News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traction Tires 2-8-0 and 4-8-4 J Class

Started by ike8120, May 19, 2013, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ike8120

How does one remove the wheel that has the traction tire on it? Other then Bullfog Snot
is there any substitute for the Bachmann traction tires since stock seems to be out.

Thanks
Gary

skipgear

At least for the 2-8-0, you can use replacement traction tires for a Kato Mikado. Not sure if they are still available but last time I checked, they were.

For the J-Class, not sure.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

wobblinwheel

I think on the 2-8-0, the tires are on the drivers with the eccentric crank. Best not remove the wheels. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember noticing this on mine, wondering how in the #%@^& I would replace the tires! My first guess would be to carefully remove the crank and rod. OR remove the bottom cover and separate the wheels, which may involve re-quartering. Would be interesting to find out.

tweetsieengineer

Removing the wheels is actually the fastest and easiest way to replace the tires on the 2-8-0
Tim Smith,

bobwrgt

No need to remove the wheels. If you un-do the rods from the driver you can use 2 toothpicks to stretch the new band around the wheel.
Delicate work but i have also filled the groove in the wheel with clear or black silicon sealer and let dry for 24 hours. Both in N scale and HO .

tweetsieengineer

when I first started i used 2 small screw drivers to put them on the 2-8-0's.  But after twisting them, and getting around the brakes.  Ive just opted on the 2-8-0's to drop the driver.  I also use this as a good opportunity to inspect the gears, and other components to keep them running smooth. 
Tim Smith,