News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting new setup running

Started by lkrotzer, May 22, 2013, 05:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lkrotzer

I am new to trains.  My grandson has been a train freak since he was two and still is at seven.  I want to make a nice setup for him.  I have a 4 x  8 table with three runs four switches.  I've just assembled it and it won't run.  The switches work, but the train won't run.  We've run it on  a single circle, but now, with the extra loops I can't get it to go.  I've learned quite a bit in the last few months trying to get this ready for him, but I am way short of knowing enough and would really appreciate some help.  Thanks.  Lkrotzer

ps: We have Thomas and Douglas and ez track and switches.

bapguy

Can you give us the track plan? It might help solve your problem.  Joe

richg

It might help to take some photos. Get a Photo Bucket account and upload them to the forums. That way others here can get a pretty good idea of what you are doing and maybe they can manipulate the photo and look at a particular spot that might cause the issue/issues.
Many times a photo can reveal a lot.

http://photobucket.com/

Rich

GG1onFordsDTandI

If you don't have a camera, and your not a good artist, you could try out a layout design program. There are some good free ones, Anyrail is my favorite seems easiest to me ;). They offer a free trial version which never expires, and no registration ;D. (Limit is about 50 pieces of track on the free one. :-\

Joe Satnik

Dear Lkrotzer,

We're trying to determine if you have "reverse loops", which need special attention to work properly.

M R
l /
l/ T2
l
P

L M
\ l
\l T3
  l
  P

L = left, R = right, M = main, P = points, T2 = turnout 2 (of 4 in your case)

Tell us how the 4 turnouts hook to one another. 

For example,

T1-M to T2-P,

T3-L to T4-R,

Etc. until all 12 turnout ends (4 turnouts x 3 ends each) are covered. 

If there is a crossing between turnouts, let us know.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.