News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-6-0 rear headlite

Started by Barry Karlberg, May 24, 2013, 08:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Karlberg

I have a wonderful, operating 2-6-0 with DCC and sound. However, when using the rear headlite for a backup move it blinks constantly instead of remaining on bright and a solid beam. Anyone have this happen? How did you stop the blinking?
Also how do you remove the tender shell to get at the rear lite in order to re-position it to the middle of the tender deck?

Thanks,for any responses.

Barry

richg

First of all, I would do a decoder reset. You will not easily move the tender light.

Flip the tender over. Pull the two wheels off the front truck. There should be two Phillips head screws to remove.

Make sure the two wheels go back exactly the same way.

Be advised,the LED is on a small PC board and a light pipe sends light up to the tender light fixture.

Go look at the diagram for the loco and expand the page. You can see just about everything.

Search the General and HO forums for sound value 2-6-0. Someone has posted pictures of what the inside of the tender looks like. I just looked at the copies I downloaded from here sometime ago.

Rich

Barry Karlberg

Thanks, Rich for the information, particularly about the location of the LED inside the tender and how it feeds light to the lense.
I'am  not really a novice when it comes to DCC but could you explain the steps to "re-set a decoder"?

Thanks,

Barry

richg

Punch in CV8. Enter 8.I always remove the loco or disconnect the power to the track and then connect again. SOP for Tsunami.
There is plenty more info in the manuals.
The manual for the 2-6-0 is right in the Bachmann site. I believe it directs you to the SoundTraxx site which has manuals for many different manufactures who use SoundTraxx sound decoders.
All the Bachmann sound locos use sound decoders from SoundTraxx.Some call them sound decoders with Tsunami technology. Some do not want to call the decoders Tsunami decoders. Nit pickers.
I have a couple Bachmann with sound on board and some I installed Tsunami decoders myself. Terminology here does not bother me.
As an aside, Bachmann has three locos that use sound "modules" that plug into a non sound motor/light decoder. Muddies the water a little. lol

Take time to look through All the Bachmann site. Many fail to do that.
Go to Parts, DCC on board, DCC sound on board.

Below is a good link about DCC and sound. Bruce prefers SoundTraxx. Look in all the links but specifically Curriculum

http://www.mrdccu.com/

Rich.

richg

Again, look for a small PC board next to the full size PC board in the diagram. I have the photo in Photo Bucket but it really belongs to someone here who might jump in if still around.
Some other Bachmann locos use the LED/light pipe arraignment.

Some have no idea how to look around so here is a link to the diagram. A PDF can be expanded a lot compared to a photo with no distortion so it works sometimes. Click + zoom a couple times. Look for PCB03

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_260_DCC_sound_.pdf

Save the PDF to a Bachmann 2-6-0 folder in your PC.

Rich

richg

If it is a constant blinking, then you might have inadvertently modified the CV for the tender light. Random blinking might indicate an intermittent connection in the tender somewhere. From what I can see, there is little in the way of wiring that would cause this issue since the majority of the decoder is PC board.
As I write this, I have another browser open with the actual photo of the inside of the tender.

Rich