Shipping Industrial Locomotives

Started by J3a-614, May 27, 2013, 12:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J3a-614

Many if not most industrial locomotives were not shipped on their own wheels, or "in tow," but on flatcars.  This applied not only to locomotives that were other than standard gauge, but to standard gauge units due to suspensions, motors, gearing, or all of the above not being capable of handling main line speeds, even for freight trains.

Anyway, here's a photo of what happens to be a narrow-gauge 45-ton Whitcomb (in many ways similar to the GE model offered by Bachmann), which may give you ideas for a project or two of your own, for anything from the 44-tonner up to the 70-tonner, and, I would guess, for the shipment of industrial tank locomotives as well.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/168885_317872974967628_1253624432_n.jpg

Note not only the blocking, but the coverings over bell and headlight for protection during shipment.

Have fun.

GG1onFordsDTandI

Very nice! I've seen flat cars stacked, but never a loco on a flat car. I have few dead PW O-gauge switchers, but hate running them as dummies. Verses letting them all just sit on a siding, this is a great option. Thanks.