News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC turnout control

Started by starmeister, July 13, 2013, 12:19:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmeister

I am planning a layout using Bachmann EZ track.  The plan has two reverse loops which will require reverse modules.  One of the loops contains a diagonal track run between two Left hand DCC switches.  I would like to control both switches with a single command.  I would like both to be 'straight' in the default position, but when I activate the turn, I would like both switches to activate to the turn position, with a single command.  Is this possible with the Bachmann DCC turnouts?

GG1onFordsDTandI

In dcc?!?! I think your controller is the determining factor here, it would have to "talk" to both switches per button position.
If your talking "manual" electric switching (vs dcc control) an extra switch,..maybe relays, and/or various electronic devices, built or bought, might be involved too. Train electronics are like race cars, anything is possible (automated turnout switching included). How much do you want to spend? = how fast do you want to go? Will you build it yourself? How complicated are you willing to get?

Doneldon

star-

If you want to throw both turnouts every time, you can just give both turnouts the same address. This is similar to one form of consisting. In DC, you can either use a relay to throw the "second" turnout or wire them to a single switch. If your DC system has trouble throwing the two turnouts at the same time (you shouldn't have a problem with just two as long as the turnout power doesn't also run lighting and other animations on the layout) you can add a capacitive discharge circuit. I suggest Talking Electronics in Australia. They have an outstanding web site and fast delivery which will pleasantly surprise you, i.e., same week.

Good luck with your layout. Keep us up to date on your progress.
                                                                                                  -- D

VidGuy069

Again if DCC, and since starmeister  references the reverse modules, I'm going to assume, dangerous I know, that it is DCC.  Check the manual of your controller for the keyword 'route'.  For the MRC prodigy Advance what this allows is the throwing of multiple consecutively connected or not, to be thrown with one command. 

Hope this helps.

VidGuy069
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.