News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO FT and F7 frames

Started by quark51, June 02, 2013, 12:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quark51

Have the frames of the FTs been changed to the new lightweight ones on the newer F7s?

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

quark51

I recently bought the Norfolk Southern F7A and it was much lighter than the FTA. I removed the shells of both locomotives and noticed how much different the frames were, the frame of the FT was much heavier than the F7

jbrock27

How old is the FT?  Could it be a Spectrum or Plus series?
I know exactly what you mean, but my experience was a newer, in the blue colored box, Bachmann FTA that I bought for my son for Christmas, had a much lighter (cheesier) frame, than the frame of a F7 Plus series.  I don't like the newer frame bc of how light they are.  And I am not that enamored with the new motor, versus a Spectrum or Plus model that has brass flywheels.
Keep Calm and Carry On

quark51

It is a blue box one, I bought it about 5 years ago, no flywheels though.

jbrock27

Yep, those definitely have a lighter frame.  Personally, not a big fan of them.  To be honest, Bachmann is not #1 on my list, but I do prefer the Spectrum or Plus diesels over the newest versions.  In my experience and view, these 2 series have more "guts" to them and pull better.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Joe Baldwin

Guys,

If you have a postage scale, you can weigh the locomotives and it will help distinguish one from another.

The NEWEST F7 A & B's from Bachmann are heavy,  about 17 oz compared to the DC only versions that weigh about 8 OZ, do not have flywheels and have much longer couplers than the newest versions which come in three configurations, DCC onboard, DCC Value Sound and DCC ready.  All of the F7's I've seen have four screws holding the body on which is easily swapped from one to another.  The B unit has no head light either.

The llink below will lead you to some information and pictures that could be useful.  I do not have an FT, but from what I have seen, they are more akin to the DCC F7's than the analog DC only version.

I'd have to say that this new crop of Bachmann F7's are MUCH better than the older ones and are worthy to sit on my layout.

http://joe-daddy.com/index.php/the-train-room-2/138-bachmann-f7-locomotive-internal-differences

Joe
Joe Daddy

jbrock27

Thanks for the clarification J.D.

The new Bachmann FT I was referring to is DC.  It weighs much less than any Plus model I have.  I don't have any DCC locos.  You would have to ask quark51 whether he has been referring to a DC or DCC version.

Yes, my postage scale says my Athearn F7s weigh over a pound each, significantly more than any other brand I have.
Keep Calm and Carry On

quark51

The FTA and B I have are DC and are about 5 to 6 years old and the frame is much heavier than the F7A I just bought, I also have a plus F7 and the FTs frame are the same but without flywheels.

jbrock27

Now I see much better what J.D. was referring to, after taking a look on the Bachmann website.  The FTA unit in the blue box I was referring to, cost less than half of what the F7 units currently listed cost ($80).  I would be willing to bet, that if I had one of these newest $80 units, I would be pleased as opposed to not being so pleased with the FTA blue box unit I bought at Christmastime.
Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

i have some of those FT in some of my old bachmann and tyco shells  the ones that looked good    they pull alot better than those pancake  motor ones  and you can have a better coupler on the back side.       i like using those for kitbashing those older F7s    and plus they are now DCC.     also i used a few of them in my box cars loco power  so my steam locos have alot better pulling  from the hidden powered chassie hidden in the boxcar .   Dave