Is It OK To Secure a Bachmann Decoder With Electrical Tape?

Started by d_hitt, June 16, 2013, 04:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_hitt

I'm new to DCC.  I finally figured out with the help of this forum where you actually plug in the decoders on my Bachmann 4-8-2 Light Mountain and K4 Pacific.  I have Bachmann's DCC system and tried to get some trains running.  Neither of my Bachmann locos will run. ???   I put some of my old analog locos on and got them to run by turning on #10 for the analog locos on my dcc controller.  I opened up the tender on the Mountain and the decoder had come loose.  Is it okay to secure that with electrical tape?  I'm not sure what's going on with the K-4 yet but I'll try to get the Mountain going first.  BTW, I'm using the basic Bachmann 8 pin decoders.  Thanks in advance!

Doneldon

d h-

No. Electrical tape doesn't hold up well over time, especially when it's exposed to heat like you'll have on your motor top. A
better material is double-sided foam tape. Silicone caulk will also work. Each of those will both electrically and thermally
insulate the decoder a little.
                                              -- D

d_hitt

Thanks!  I'll try the phone tape as it sounds like caulk would be a hassle when it came to future repairs / changes.

richg

Normally the decoder does not need to be held in place. Sounds like the tender had some rough handling or the eight pin plug was not securely inserted into the socket.
Many do use anything to secure the decoder in the tender. Mine do not need any tape.

Rich

jbrock27

d_hitt I don't know if this will provide an option for you or not, but wanted to mention that I have used a dab of glue from a hot glue gun to secure wires to a delrin plastic motor cradle.  I have done this to keep the wires out of harms way and be able to take the shell of the diesel on and off.  I put a dab on the surface w/o having the hot tip of the gun actually touch the surface where I am putting the glue.  I don't know how difficult it would be to get it off for maintenance purposes as I have not had to that yet.  I can say it is very secure.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

jb27

What a great idea. When I was upgrading the decoders on two of my SD's I actually tore the casing off the wires putting the shell's back on. If I would have been able to see what was making it so hard to put the shells back on your trick would have saved me from rewiring the front truck wiring. If you ever pulled apart one of those trucks you will know what I mean. Now I reroute the wiring but your trick is easier and probably works just as well.

Jerry

jbrock27

Excellent! Glad to provide some help.
I don't know if the tip of the glue gun gets hot enough to melt plastic, but I always take care to try not to let the tip touch.
Keep Calm and Carry On

d_hitt

These are both steam engines I've mounted the decoders in and the decoder chip just won't stay in the receptacle.   I'm able to run some old analog engines on #10 and they run but so far the DCC engines (which are much newer than my old school analog engines) won't run.  I'm not sure why the K4 pacific won't run.  Any ideas?

richg

Quote from: d_hitt on June 17, 2013, 05:56:17 PM
These are both steam engines I've mounted the decoders in and the decoder chip just won't stay in the receptacle.   I'm able to run some old analog engines on #10 and they run but so far the DCC engines (which are much newer than my old school analog engines) won't run.  I'm not sure why the K4 pacific won't run.  Any ideas?

In that case, put a drop of hot glue right where the gap is between the plug and socket. A small drop on each side would work. Just don't put the hot tip up against the plastic parts. I use a little drop of hot glue on other projects and it works very well. The glue hardens in a short time.

For tape in DCC projects, I use Kapton tape I have bought from DCC suppliers. Nice and thin, tough and does not ooze like vinyl tape.

Rich

Rich

d_hitt

railtwister

Quote from: Doneldon on June 16, 2013, 06:39:34 PM
d h-
No. Electrical tape doesn't hold up well over time, especially when it's exposed to heat like you'll have on your motor top. A
better material is double-sided foam tape. Silicone caulk will also work. Each of those will both electrically and thermally
insulate the decoder a little.
                                             -- D

CAUTION!

Beware of any silicone caulk or adhesive, because unless the label specifies that it is safe for electrical applications, most silicon products contain acetic acid, which is destructively corrosive and can eat up the traces on a decoder circuit board in very little time!

Bill in FtL

utdave

i found that super 88 or 33  from 3m   is good electrical tape  great for hot surface and cold and wet surfaces    but some things it dont like to stay on very well.   i use this tape alot at my work and on some decoders to keep in place   havent had a issue yet.   if your using some lower price stuff  i found i  dont trust it and it does come apart even on itself.    Dave     

Joe Baldwin

My experience with double sided foam tape has been dismal, it never seems to stick to both surfaces (sides), ever.  Using scotch 33 has been disappointing as well.

Most of my decoders, like other posters have said, float in side the locomotive or tender shell. 

If the decoder happens to be 'bare', one can easily 'seal' them with a piece of the appropriate diameter shrink tubing. 

Kapton tape, while a bit pricy, does seem to be useful securing wiring and decoders as desired.
Joe Daddy