News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Pardee-Curtin wheel screws

Started by gypo r.r., June 25, 2013, 01:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypo r.r.

HI 
I have a shay  36 ton g-scale two truck.  It has less than 5 hours total run time.  I recieved it as a gift as a (never been run) unit.  I lubricated it per instructions and used it for a small amount pulling either no or light loads.

It recently began running intermittently. I thought it was a track cleaning problem until It stopped altogether.

Inspection showed that all 4 right hand drive wheels were loose and wobbly, with the power pick-ups missing.
The screws shown in the owners manual are gone. I don't know if they were ever in there, not knowing how long they are and if there is enough room for them to fall out without hittting the truck frame.

Does anyone out there know of any similar problems?  Most probably I's time to replace the trucks with the
new metal ones, but I'm not sure I want to put that much money into this brand of equipment, with the quality being iffy.  Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

Loco Bill Canelos

Your Pardee Curtin Shay was produced over 15 years ago. This is an old problem with the early trucks.  At the time they were fully covered by the warranty.  What you have is very old stock.  If you bought it at a dealer you should try to return it or who ever bought it should try to return it.

If it was purchased on EBay, you are out of luck, unless the seller mis represented it, If so raise the issue with Ebay.  We have seen before Ebay sellers listing them without mentioning the truck problem. Sometimes they polish up the wheels and push them as "new" when they really are not. 

The replacement trucks are really great and you won't regret getting them.  My runs flawlessly with the new Trucks, I operate it on a automated back and forth logging track, and it has been perfect for many years.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

JerryB

As Loco Bill wrote, you probably have a NOS (New Old Stock) unit.

With the exception of the erly trucks, there is nothing "iffy" about the quality of your Shay. Mine is equipped with battery power and continues to be one of the most used locomotives on my RR.

Get the new trucks, carefully replace them and enjoy!

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chuck N

I have a more recent version of the Shay (latest trucks) and I really like it.  No problems.  I strongly suggest that you upgrade the trucks as suggested by Bill.  You won't regret it.

Over on <mylargescale.com> recently there was some discussion about the replacement trucks and it was mentioned that
<http://www.reindeerpass.com/> had them at a reasonable price.  I have never used Reindeer Pass, but I have heard good things about them.  If you decide to upgrade check them out for prices and availability.

Chuck

gypo r.r.

Thank you very much for the info.  Looks like I know what to ask for this next birthday.

I appreciate the input.

gypo r.r.

Loco Bill Canelos

GYPO, You are welcome, Reindeer Pass has done right by me and are certainly recommended sellers, also excellent is RLDhobbies.com and Trainworld has had the trucks for a reasonable price as well. 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chuck N

GYPO:

Don't hesitate to buy Bachmann spectrum or Big Hauler products.  The current models are very good.

Chuck

PS. I have engines by LGB, AristoCraft, Bachmann, Accucraft, and USAtrains.  None of them are free of problems.