News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder

Started by CnOtoPennsy, December 07, 2013, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CnOtoPennsy

Hi Girls and Guys, I am wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not this decoder listed below, will work in my HO F7A Bachmann Loco item no. 63078?
Also, will it work with other command systems, or only the EZ Command system from Bachmann?

Bachmann item number 44926 9.5mm x 5mm. E.Z. COMMAND 1 AMP LOCOMOTIVE DECODER with NMRA 8-Pin Plug.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bachmann-EZ-Command-Decoder-1-Amp-9-5mm-X-5mm-with-8-Pin-NMRA-Plug-44926-/141133418347?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20dc350f6b

Thanks  ;D

Thanks, Curtis :)

AGSB

If it meets all the NMRA Standards for DCC, and it states that on the package, then it will work with all controllers that also meet the NMRA Standards.

jward

you should be able to make it work but it may not be a straightforward conversion. since I couldn't find what a 63078 is, it probably doesn't have an nmra 8 pin receptacle to plug the decoder into. in that case the plug would need to be cut off the decoder leads, and the decoder hard wired into the locomotive. not hard, if you know how to solder. you may also have to isolate the motor from the chassis which will be a bit more difficult requiring a complete disassembly of the locomotive.

I don't have the f7, but I have several fts which use the same chassis. I opened up one of my fts which were bought new in the past 2 years, and while it doesn't have the 8 pi receptacle, the motor does appear to be isolated from the chassis. this may or may not be true of your locomotive.

the link below shows how to wire a tcs decoder into anft, but your install should follow the same procedure.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/EMD_FT-B/EMD_FT-B.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CnOtoPennsy

Super thanks, yeah my loco is DCC ready, so it should wire up right up as you said jward. Thanks as well AGSB, yes it states it works with all, so I'm assuming it does. I don't really like to buy "not local" and we have a really good train shop in town, but the price is right for some of this stuff, so I have to go for it.

Thanks again to both of you guys.

Thanks, Curtis :)