News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann Transformer ?

Started by union pacific 844, July 19, 2013, 04:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

hi i have old bachmann  Transformer model 6607 i need a control nob for it  it broke off  last night i hope the  control nob is cheaper then a new   Transformer

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Ok, now that I got that out of the way, let me see if I can help. 
Matt, what do you use this old style controller for?
Keep Calm and Carry On

union pacific 844

this Transformer i forget i had   and was used it last night because of the one i was using before that has a bad switch on it  and with that one i can control my trains with it any more  so i need a nod or  get a new one

Doneldon

844-

Finding the factory knob will likely mean a long and huge search. And the knob might or might not be cheap. BUT, there is a good alternative. Take your power pack to a good hardware store and check the little drawers full of knobs for electrical and electronic goods. You probably won't find the original design but you'll certainly find something which looks good and works well. You can also shop the Shack but the prices will probably be higher there.

-- D

jbrock27

Thanks for the answer UP844.  Sounds like you use it to power your track.
I think Doc gave a great suggestion.  If going to the hardware does not work out, I suggest you can try Radio Shack.  I don't know if the knob on this old style power pack is the same kind, but I know that people have been able to find dial type knobs that fit perfectly on their crock pots, at Radio Shack.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 20, 2013, 07:27:29 AM
I don't know if the knob on this old style power pack is the same kind, but I know that people have been able to find dial type knobs that fit perfectly on their crock pots, at Radio Shack.

jb-

I'll predict that the exact knob won't be available but a suitable replacement will be. There are endless varieties of knobs but a limited universe of shafts. So ... getting a replacement is a sure thing but getting an exact replacement is unlikely.

-- D

union pacific 844

im looking for any knob  to but no luck yet

jbrock27

Doc, I never used the word, exact.  What I did say was "fit perfectly.  See a difference?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Matt, I know you have said in the past, there are no hobby shops near where you live.  Where have you been looking for the replacement knob?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on July 21, 2013, 06:59:53 AM
Doc, I never used the word, exact.  What I did say was "fit perfectly.  See a difference?

jb-

Yes, I understand the difference. I wasn't suggesting a criticism of your post, just pointing out to the OP (and perhaps others) that it's easy to find a knob which will fit but they shouldn't necessarily expect it to be a match for what they had before. This isn't a problem most of the time because there is only one knob on most power packs and such, but it could be an issue for someone who is trying to match another knob on the same item. In that case, it might be necessary to replace more than one knob so they all look the same.
                                                                                                                        -- D

jbrock27

I understand your explanation Doc.  Thank you.  Bc you addressed your point to me about the possibility of not finding an exact match, it made it look like you were making the point to me for some reason.  Can I suggest, that maybe next time, indicate you are passing this along to the OP. In this case, Matt.
My apologies for any unnecessary misunderstandings.
Keep Calm and Carry On