G scale two truck Shay/Dynamis DCC system compatibility?

Started by Geardriver, July 22, 2013, 12:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geardriver

I want to know if I can run on a oval test track (4' x 5') my Spectrum two truck Shay with my EZ Command Dynamis DCC System for testing and programming purposes? I also have a Heisler with both having decoders. Can I also use the above combination using the EZ Riders (tread mill) for testing?

Loco Bill Canelos

I don't know why not as long as you don't exceed the Amps of the Dynamis.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Kevin Strong

Which system are you using; the Dynamis (infra-red control with large screen in the middle) or the EZ command (no screen, just a knob and 10 buttons)? The Dynamis should work okay indoors for programming and testing. The IR control will not work outdoors, at least not reliably. IR control and sunlight tend to be mutually exclusive concepts. The EZ Command system (the small grey box with a knob and 10 buttons) will not allow you to program individual CVs on a decoder. You can only program the locomotive address (1 - 9), and program the direction the motor turns when the "forward" button is pressed. It will also only run decoders with loco addresses 1 - 9. It is--as the name implies--a much-simplified DCC controller, and very limited in functionality when compared to a full system.

Later,

K

Geardriver

Quote from: Geardriver on July 22, 2013, 12:52:56 AM
I want to know if I can run on a oval test track (4' x 5') my Spectrum two truck Shay with my EZ Command Dynamis DCC System for testing and programming purposes? I also have a Heisler with both having decoders. Can I also use the above combination using the EZ Riders (tread mill) for testing?

Thanks for the quick replies fellow members. I have the Dynamis IR controller with the power supple rated at 2.5 amps. I plan to insert my amp meter in series while testing my locos.