News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO #5 Turnouts

Started by ejseider, July 21, 2013, 06:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejseider

Recently got a pair of Bachmann E-Z Track #5 HO turnouts (right & left).  Two problems that I haven't quite figured out:

1) the side track is so short that I have to notch out the first section of adjoining E-Z track to get it to fit.  Is it designed this way or am I just missing something?
2) I'm trying to set up a passing siding parallel to my main line, but the angle of the side track is such that using standard 30 degree bend sections will not fit (It works with my other turnouts).  Again, is there something that I'm missing here?

Joe Satnik

Dear ej,

1. Yes, you must notch out the plastic roadbed to make it fit.

2.  The departure angle for the #5 turnout is 12 degrees, according to AnyRail.com.

That means that to return to parallel, you would need a curve somewhere near 12 degrees.

44509 is a 33.25" Radius - 12 degree curve, which is an exact match, and yields a center-to-center spacing with the parallel track of 2.36".

44532 is a 22" Radius-11.25 degree curve, which is close, and yields a center-to-center spacing with the parallel track of 2.11".

You can always put a straight between the divergent end of the turnout and the curve to widen the parallel spacing. 

All this was figured out on AnyRail.com, which is a fun and easy to learn track CAD program. 

It is a free download for the first 50 track pieces.   Highly recommended. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

using a 5 WITH a 12 degree curve will yield much better and more reliable operation than using the 18r 30 degree switch. for one thing, the 18r reverse curve that results from using the switch and a curved section to make parallel tracks is a guaranteed source of trouble especially with longer cars. however, you don't need to use 12 degree section of 33.25r if you are willing to cut a smaller radius piece of track to fit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA