News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman ez track

Started by Jmhess57, July 30, 2013, 11:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmhess57

I have a problem with a lose of power on just one of my frogs what can I do to help me resolve this. The only time it happens is when I go slow or when I use my 0-8-0 steam locomotives. If anyone can help it would greatly appreciate it.

Doneldon

Jmh-

Short wheelbase locomotives (well, it's more a matter of the distance between the first wheel with electrical pick up and the last such wheel, not the wheelbase itself) and some slow trains will lead to difficulties on Bachmann turnouts. The problem is electrical continuity. An 0-8-0 shouldn't cause trouble but perhaps the wheel wipers aren't set correctly on every driver back. Flywheels on the motor shaft can store enough energy to get short locos through turnouts; I don't know the brand of your 0-8-0 and Bachmann doesn't sell one so I don't know if you have a flywheel or if there's room to install one. Sometimes you can remedy this situation by making sure you have pick up from all tender wheels but I don't know if this would help you because I don't know if you have a tender or tank engine. (I assume it has a tender but I can't e certain.)

If you turn your Bachmann turnout over, you'll see a little green wire which comes out of the covered space where the turnout control gear is hidden. That van be attached to a tab from the frog so your frog is powered. There is a slight chance of occasional electrical problems with powered frogs, but this is something to try if you can't fix things by checking wheel wipers, cleaning rails and treads or verifying the pick up through a tender.

Good luck!

-- D