News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track cleaning solutions (fluids).

Started by rbryce1, November 26, 2013, 10:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbryce1

I have reviewed the past posts regarding track cleaning, and they don't seem to answer my question directly.

I have the Bachmann track cleaning car, and it works OK I guess.  After running it for quite some time, I always still notice a black residue on my fingers if I run my finger across the tracks.

I recently purchased the CMX Clean Machine brass tank car track cleaner.  It is extremely heavy and seems to travel well, but it does take some real horsepower to pull, due to it's weight plus the drag of the track cleaning pad.

I tried to use Woodland Scenics track cleaning solution, but it seems to work like crap.  It Left a residue on the rails, and the engines are constantly loosing power with the rails.

Looking on line, there is more cleaning fluid solutions the Carters Pills.  What cleaning fluids do you use and how do you rate them.

bapguy

I have the CMX car and use isopropyl alcohol. I unscrew the flow valve to saturate the cloth on the car then turn it down to a drip. I run the car several times. I then replace the cloth. I also use CRC-26 cleaner. I spray the cloth and run the car by hand. I have to spray the cloth several times as the CRC evaporates.  Joe

jward

I've never been able to completely remove the residue. as long as it conducts electricity, you probably don't need to.

I run two centerline cars, one with its roller saturated with whatever cleaning solution I am using this month, and the second run dry to pick up the crud loosened by the first.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rbryce1

Last night I tried cleaning one of my rail systems with 50% denatured Alcohol in my CMX Tank Car, and after running for about 30 minutes, my NS track was simply beautiful!.  I could feel no residue at all, the rails felt clean and slick and smooth and when I ran my finger down the rails, I picked up not even a hint of a black line on my finger.  After that, I ran the McKinley Explorer train on that rail system, and not one of the passenger car's lights even hinted of a flicker, while before, after using the Woodlands Scenics Tidy Track rail cleaner, they seemed like flashing light bulbs and I could feel the residue on the rails.  They were not really sticky, but it felt like I was running my finger across rubber, not metal.  I am absolutely certain from now on, Woodland Scenics "Tidy Track" track cleaning solution will never see my rails again, and I am 100% satisfied with denatured alcohol.

Len

The only liquid I'll use on track is denatured (50% or higher) alchohol, available in the paint department of most hardware stores. I find everything else leaves a residue of some sort, I then have to go back with the alchohol to remove.

For really dirty loco wheels I use a plastic safe Electronic Contact Cleaner (no lubricant), which is NOT the same as TV Tuner Cleaner (contains lubricant), on a swab. Followed by alchohol on a swab.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

I never thought of using denatured alcohol fellas.  Thanks for the idea!  Buying the larger size container, while more expensive, is cheaper per ounce.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

please be careful with the denatured alcohol. it burns without a visible flame. the flammability issue is the main reason I don't use it or acetone to clean track. all it takes is one spark in an environment full of them........
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Thank you.  Will do.  One more reason, per your advice, to not allow smoking around the layout!
Keep Calm and Carry On