News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hot Loco

Started by steveeusd, February 09, 2007, 12:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveeusd

Hello everyone--

I just installed a NCE D13SRJ decorder in an HO Athearn Dash 9, which has DCC plug in play capability.  I am using Bachmann's EZ Command.   I affixed electrical tape on the bottom of the decoder (circuit board), thus insulating it from the Motor/brushes, etc.  (Just as stated in the operating instructions.)  The loco ran well under both DC (using a MRC 1300) and DCC (Bachmann's EZ Command).  I noticed however after running the engine for about 20-25 minutes, the shell, which I placed snuggly on the chassis, was hot to the touch.  I also notice after removing the shell, the decorder and the "permanent  board" under the decorder (the board that the decorder plugs into) was also very hot.  I left the decorder "free" to float. 

It was recommended I try another exact decorder and see what happens.  I will do that tonight.  But, in between time, any help would be helpful.  I am new to DCC and this is my first decorder installation, so I could have done something incorrectly. 

Sincerely,

Steve

Tim

Steveeusd,

By hot do you mean burn your fingers hot, or just very warm to the touch?

Decoders do get warm, that's normal.  In the confined space of a diesel
hood they can get very warm.
You ran the loco for 20-25 minutes with out problem, this tells me that It is
OK.  The decoder will shut down if it overheats to protect it'self.
Your decoder didn"t do that, so no worry.

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

steveeusd

Tim--

Thank you for your response.  To clarify.  The shell, decorder, and fixed circuit board were hot to the touch, just after 20 to 25 of running.  I must admit, I was concerned the shell would have melted had I ran the loco longer.

Steve

Tim

Steve,

Would it be possible to mount the decoder in a less confined space?

Perhaps in the cab?

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

steveeusd

Tim--

Unfortunately, the size of the decorder and its connection limit the decorder to the shell space behind the cab.

Steve

Fred M

G'day Steve,

A couple of years ago I fitted a Soundtrax diesel sound decoder into a Kato Dash 9, and attached the decoder to the underside of the shell roof and after running for awhile I also noticed the shell becoming very hot but not enough to soften this, I relocated the decoder to the chassis and I can still feel the heat coming through the shell but not as much, this loco is still running with this decoder in place and with no hassles.

I have also noticed, some defcoders run hot and others run slightly warm.
Fred

glennk28

try restoring the loco to factory configuration--no decoder, all else in place) and test run it for a similar time period--compare--

The main thing is not to let the smoke out of the decoder.  gj

andrewd

maybe you should have left the engine alone convert her back to DC it's what she wants maybe then she will not be hot to the touch try it and see what happens

richg

What is the DC motor current when run a DC voltage at 12 Vdc?

Is the motor frame hot?

Rich