News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC in old Bachmann Mikado 2-8-2 -How?

Started by jsgeare, September 07, 2007, 06:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsgeare

How do I take this puppy apart, and what do I need to disconnect and reconnect when I'm in? I have a Digitrax decoder. The loco is an older model (B&O) I acquired on ebay from a man who had moved up to brass equipment. The Bacjmann name is embossed on the bottom between the drivers. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

SteamGene

I don't think it's worth it.  The old Mike is really a Consolidation with trailing trucks tacked on.  There are either two or three screws on the bottom holding boiler and drive train together.  One should be under the pony truck and you will probably need to remove the pony truck first.  The other one or two will be in the cab area. 
But again, why bother?  Most of those locomotives had little pulling power and are not very reliable. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
Didn't that "Mike" have a Wotten firebox?  I seem to remember the chunky lil' bugger as having one.  If so, and if you are a fanatic of whatever road sported these puppies, then maybe a transormation from the old works to a newer Spectrum Consol. might work.
Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Jim Banner

The mechanism from a Bachmann Plus 2-8-0 is an easy fit in the old flat motor 2-8-2.  Many of the B-mann Plus units ran quite well and are worth installing a decoder in.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

Yes,  it had a Wooten fire box.  I think Bachmann stopped making them before the Plus came along but continued making the Consolidation so it might well have the better motor.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

My thought was that if the frame revolves perhaps the older design, then a swap certainly wouldn't be too difficult, considering the body did indeed fit onto the older frame.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!