News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N scale S-4 Headlight Question DCC

Started by leosfo, August 18, 2013, 02:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leosfo

Hi

Your new N scale S4 is one of the best n scale models in recent history, Bachmann has raised the bar for n scale locomotives.  I have question:  how do I program the DCC decoder to make only the headlight lit in the direction of travel?  Now out of the box both headlights operate at all times, unless I turn them off with F10.  I just want the headlight on that corresponds with which direction the locomotive is moving.

Thanks!

skipgear

I believe the come with Rule 17 lighting turned on, which means the headlight in the opposite of the direction of travel dims, but does not go out.

One of the pages here on Bachmanns site has DCC decoder programing options. There aren't alot but I believe Rule 17 is one of them.
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

spookshow

Based on the decoder docs, it looks like the only light-related settings you can change are which function controls Rule 17 dimming (CV 51) and how dim they get when Rule 17 is invoked (CV 52). There doesn't appear to be any way to change the basic behavior of the lighting (IE, change it to have the "forward" light on and the "rear" light off, based on direction of travel).

-Mark

leosfo

That's what I was worried, about, Bachmann returned my email to Customer service in 2 days, which was very fast, and attached a PDF about their On30 locomotives DCC Cv's , but I could not get any relief, not a big deal, the engine is still awesome!