News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO EM-1

Started by cruiser7629, September 16, 2013, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiser7629

I just got an HO EM-1 and the sound module for it. When I tried to run it on our club layout, the DC worked, but it would not run on DCC and the sound did not work. The quick start instructions say to refer to the DCC users guide. (I am fairly new to DCC.) I did not get the users guide with my locomotive. Where can I access the Users Guide? I could not find it on the Bachmann website. If it is on the website, how, specifically, do I access it? I am trying to figure out if we did something wrong or the locomotive is defective.

richg

You did not look very hard. It is in the Parts and Service page. I just looked Take your time. Many times the DCC document is not specific to a loco.
A loco diagram is usually in the box if new from a distribution center/online train shop.
The loco diagrams are on the Bachmann site if you did not get one and you can download it to your PC. The beauty of the PDF document is you can enlarge it to view details.
I would suggest you take your time looking though the Bachmann site. Many never take time to look though and have to be led by the hand.
Bachmann does not include DCC instructions with the loco but expects users to simply download the document.

Rich

RAM

Did they try to program it?

jonathan

Cruiser,

Installing the sound module can be tricky, if this is your first time.  It is entirely possible to install the sound module upside down, although it should have seemed a bit awkward.  Thus, you get a loco running on DC, but no sound or movement in DCC.

The sound module comes with a very small diagram showing how to plug it in.

When the module is plugged in correctly, the sound and dual mode decoder should work immediately on address 3.

If you changed the decoder address before installing the sound module, nothing will work.  Have someone reset the decoder to "3" before plugging in the module.

Ask me how I know this.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Bucksco

If CV values have been changed prior to adding the sound module you must do a reset to original factory default settings before installing the sound module (this info is in the instructions that are included with the sound module).

cruiser7629

Thank you for replying. I installed the sound module before running the locomotive, per the instructions. I did not put any power to the locomotive prior to that. The module dropped right in, so I am pretty sure I did that correctly. We changed the locomotive address from 3 to 7629 on our programming track before attempting to run it. Nothing happened when we tried the DCC, other than the headlight flashing. Would changing the address back to 3 help?

cruiser7629

Rich;

On the Parts & Service page I clicked on the DCC OnBoard Button and got the EZ Command decoder (2 pages). When I clicked on the DCC Sound OnBoard Button I just got another copy of the Quick Start Guide (12 pages). What do I click on after getting to the Parts & Service page? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
                      Steve

jonathan

OK, here are a few things you can try:

If you can, attempt to run the locomotive, as is, on a DC track.  If the locomotive moves, but has no sound, the sound module is not installed correctly. If the locomotive does nothing, ensure the tender wires are seated all the way into the locomotive receptacles.  If the loco moves and has sound in DC, then:

A DCC system, like Digitrax, does not provide sufficient power to its programming track to program a Bachmann locomotive.  Your DCC bubbas probably already know that and have compensated for it.  However, a flashing light usually indicates an "error code" like a short or too much current.  Ensure the tender wheels are oriented correctly, but I don't know that it is possible to turn the tender trucks around on the EM-1.  It is also possible your locomotive is still on address 3 for the reason stated above.

If the locomotive ran in DC, as you stated in the first post, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the locomotive.  Something happened between installing the sound module and attempting to change the locomotive's address.  It's going to be something fairly simple, but I can't tell without having the locomotive in front of me.  Wish I could be more help.

Regards,

Jonathan

cruiser7629

Bach Man;

Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

cruiser7629

Jonathan;

I will take the tender shell off and check the installation. I needed to get some of the slack out of the tender wires anyway. Our programming track is pretty sophisticated; it's got a PC and other gadgets. I'm sure our resident programmer has programmed Bachmann locomotives before, since our club has 40+ members. He is pretty knowledgible. Hopefully it is something simple; I really don't want to send it back to Bachmann to be fixed. (I mail ordered it from Trainworld because of the good price.) And you have been helpful.
                                      Thanks

Bucksco

You may need to enable 4 digit addressing (CV 29 - set it to a value of 32 or 36 if you want DC operation as well).