News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-6-2

Started by rondon47, August 24, 2013, 04:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rondon47

Does anyone out there know if the standard Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie with smoke unit is also DCC ready?

Jerrys HO

r47

Looking at the diagram it would appear not.

Jerry

Doneldon

rd-

No, it's not. I think it's a matter of space inside the loco.

-- D

rondon47

Thanks to those who replied to my question.  I think I can install the decoder in the tender and run the wiring to the loco.  I did this with an 0-6-0 and it runs beautifully.  The only drawback is the wires running from the tender to the loco.

richg

Quote from: rondon47 on August 29, 2013, 07:29:10 PM
Thanks to those who replied to my question.  I think I can install the decoder in the tender and run the wiring to the loco.  I did this with an 0-6-0 and it runs beautifully.  The only drawback is the wires running from the tender to the loco.

Not a big deal. Make the wires look like hoses. Use a very limp #30. These wires are sold with many strands and are quite limp. There is #30 wire sold for dCC and some are not as flexible as others. The more strands in the insulation, the more flexible. I have both types.
Coat the wires with liquid black vinyl.

For tenders with plastic wheels, look at the below link.
http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

This is model railroading.

Rich

jward

if you remove the smoke unit there is enough room in the frame for a z scale decoder. that way you'd have no wires running between loco and tender to worry about. dcc and smoke aren't a good combination anyway, so you're better off without the smoke unit.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on August 29, 2013, 08:32:08 PM
if you remove the smoke unit there is enough room in the frame for a z scale decoder. that way you'd have no wires running between loco and tender to worry about. dcc and smoke aren't a good combination anyway, so you're better off without the smoke unit.

Digitrax and TCS both have a decoder good for Z, N and HO scale and one amp. About the size of a dime.
Go look at both sites. TCS seems seems to be favored. I have used the Digitrax DZ125 with an HO pan cake motor Bachmann Plymouth.

Rich

richg

Forget smoke. You do not need it or want it.
only for little children.

Rich

rogertra

Quote from: richg on August 29, 2013, 07:39:49 PM

Rich

Rich.

Thanks for the repost.  I'd lost the link.

As Bachmann engines do not pick up power from every tender wheel, just two wheels on alternate sides of the tender of eight wheeled tenders, this is an excellent idea that adds eight wheeled pick ups to every tender.  

And as you say, "This is model railroading." :)

richg

Quote from: rogertra on August 29, 2013, 09:35:26 PM
Quote from: richg on August 29, 2013, 07:39:49 PM

Rich

Rich.

Thanks for the repost.  I'd lost the link.

As Bachmann engines do not pick up power from every tender wheel, just two wheels on alternate sides of the tender of eight wheeled tenders, this is an excellent idea that adds eight wheeled pick ups to every tender.  

And as you say, "This is model railroading." :)

I have done that with Bachmann tenders. I first got the idea from the Roundhouse locos that Ahtearn sold and shortly after that saw Harold's site.

To all, store this link in Favorites or Bookmarks.

AND, always back up the Favorite or Bookmarks file to a Flash Drive or external hard drive.
Over the years I have lost count how many lost all their Favorites links. You know how bad Windows can be.
I also back up all my files to an external hard drive.
With how good prices are for hard drives and even flash drives, there are no excuses for not having one. Plenty of excuses but no good reasons.

Rich