News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

More Progress - still slow steady.

Started by rogertra, September 06, 2013, 01:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

This shot is looking across the west ladder track looking at the industrial area.  

Here's that Rutland RS-3 again.

jonathan

It looks marvelous... I don't know if you've used some kind of compression technique, but I get the feeling of miles of industrial trackage.  Impressive.

I gotta ask, because we as model railroaders always seem to save the backdrop for last... I am guilty of it, too...  Anyway, how do you intend to decorate the back wall?

I have tried painting my own backdrops, as well as adding the "wallpaper" scenery.  I have seen videos from a modeler who does not use backdrops.  He uses some kind of green screen technique, so there is a background added into his videos... really effective.

Just wondering.  Looks great!

Regards,

Jonathan

rogertra

Quote from: jonathan on September 06, 2013, 07:05:27 AM
It looks marvelous... I don't know if you've used some kind of compression technique, but I get the feeling of miles of industrial trackage.  Impressive.

I gotta ask, because we as model railroaders always seem to save the backdrop for last... I am guilty of it, too...  Anyway, how do you intend to decorate the back wall?

I have tried painting my own backdrops, as well as adding the "wallpaper" scenery.  I have seen videos from a modeler who does not use backdrops.  He uses some kind of green screen technique, so there is a background added into his videos... really effective.

Just wondering.  Looks great!

Regards,

Jonothan

Jonathan.

Thanks for the comments.

No compression, that first scene is about 15 feet from the first oil tank to the last grey building and is three feet deep.  However, the track is all within 24 inches of the front edge of the benchwork for easy access.

On my other model railroads, I usually install the backdrop first but I was impatient on the this one but as all the buildings are removable, installing one won't be too much of an issue.   I'm not sure yet whether I'll hand paint, like I did my previous GER or purchase one or have one custom photo printed.  Actually, the next project really must be to add the backdrop before I start on all the small details.

Track plan of Industrial Yard below.  There's been a couple of minor revisions since the plan was drawn.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Nice job so far.  How are you going to treat the back walls?
Rich C.

rogertra

Rich.

The back wall will have a backdrop installed.

Should have done that first but I was impatient to get started.  Ah well.

As I need to install a backdrop, all the structures are removable and many are just there as place holders, at least all the smaller, non industrial ones.  I'll have a friend of mine come around to help me get the backdrop installed and screwed to the wall.

I'm not sure of I'm going to hand paint my backdrop as I did my first GER, see links in sig for how that turned out, or if I'm going to go "hi-tech" and use a photo mural as seems to be the wave these days if you belong to the, how can I put it, more prototype type modellers groups on Yahoo.  As my model is supposed to be around Farnham Quebec, in the St. Lawrence Valley, it's pretty flat around so not much in the way of hills will be needed, perhaps just sky.  Which I can hand paint.  We'll see.