News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G Scale Thomas

Started by Fergusfan17, September 21, 2013, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fergusfan17

I was wondering if I could use the G scale Thomas on a different kind of g scale track. I don't remember what the kind was, if someone rattled off some names I could tell you. Anyway, thanks!

PaulGWR

Yes you can use bachmann g scale on other track as long as the track conducts electricity

Fergusfan17

Anthony P2

any kind of g scale track. Astrocraft, Bachmann's brass track, LGB.......the possibilities are endless. just as long as the track conducts electricity, Large scale Thomas will operate. it's like taking a standard Bachmann HO Thomas and using it on regular Bachmann EZ track or Hornby or Peco track.

Fergusfan17

Could I connect LGB with Bachmann, if need be?

PaulGWR

You can't connect bachmann track to LGB unless there is a piece of track that can put the two together

Fergusfan17

Quote from: sodorfan on September 22, 2013, 08:47:36 PM
You can't connect bachmann track to LGB unless there is a piece of track that can put the two together
Where would I find that piece?

Fergusfan17

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on September 22, 2013, 08:57:09 PM
Where would I find that piece?

grsman

Bachmann brass track should connect to LGB track. I don't have any LGB, but they are both 332 brass.
Tom

Fergusfan17

Quote from: grsman on October 05, 2013, 05:28:27 PM
Bachmann brass track should connect to LGB track. I don't have any LGB, but they are both 332 brass.
Tom

Would the electrical connection work?

Fergusfan17

Quote from: Fergusfan17 on October 05, 2013, 05:35:15 PM
Quote from: grsman on October 05, 2013, 05:28:27 PM
Tom

Would the electrical connection work?
Where could I find the piece

GG1onFordsDTandI

I don't know if the transition tracks are, or aren't available. If a transition track is unavailable, you may have to put on your thinking cap.
If your rails are screwed, glued, or nailed down you may only need to trim, place them next to each other, then fasten them down. Electrically connect them with jumper wires, connection plates, etc.
I connected two brands of all plastic track (I use batteries) by trimming locks, and mounting a piece of each on a small piece of sheet metal. I made two transition pieces like this and combined the two tracks. I've also done the same with 0-27, and O gauge (O is taller than 0-27, 0-27 must be shimmed up to the O height) I didn't use track connecting pins, I ran wires to each track styles separate section. Hope this helps some.  

GG1onFordsDTandI

There is also track code to consider. Some are made with shorter rails, some with taller. That height is called "track code". The depth of the flanges of your trains wheels must not bottom out on the ties.