how to program sound with e-z command control system

Started by jk777, August 31, 2007, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jk777

i have the e-z command control system and have just purchased a new blueline engine installed the decoder and am trying to program all the sounds.  the e-z command manual does not have any info about sound programing, is there another conponent that i need to add to make things work?

do i need to scrap the e-z command control and purchase a different dcc control ?

HELP

WoundedBear

You need to scrap the EZC.....I bought one and regret it......it works ok, but it is limited in it;s capabilities.

Maybe the new Dynamis system will fare better.

Sid

djp

Yessir you just answered your question. Forget about EZ command doing anything but lights and direction. It is a very basic system. I have it myself. I hear the new EZ command is pretty good. Have to wait and see how it works out.
Get Off My Train !!!

SteamGene

I'm not even sure you can control your variable sounds with EZ-Command.  It is limited to ten locomotives, their speed, and, so I've been just told, their lights.  That's it. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jake

^Well, after having an E-Z Command system if you have a pre programed sound engine, (or if you fully programed it on a buddy's layout that has a real DCC system) you can controll functions such as the bell whistle, etc. But yes, you should scap the E-Z Command, it is merely a child-aimed "wanna be DCC" system. My recommendation would be a Digitrax Zephyr. It is similar to the E-Z command as far as being an all-in-one module, and being budget freindly, but that us where the similarites end. I will not explain the other features of it as I dont want to aggrivate bachmann any more than a probably have by now. But you can get mor info on it at the Digitrax website.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

Jim Banner

By all means upgrade to a more comprehensive system if you need it and are ready for it.  But be prepared for a much steeper learning curve.  Think calculator vs. computer.  It is easy to learn to use a four-banger calculator but all it does is +, -, * and /.  A computer does many more things, including things that you will never use, but it takes much longer to learn to operate.

If you take Jake's advice and buy a comprehensive system like the Zephyr, consider keeping your E-Z Command as well, at least for the first year or two.  While it lacks many of the programming features, the E-Z Command has the best of all the systems for switching a single throttle between multiple trains.   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

djp

Hi Jim, could you elaborate on your last sentence? I have the EZ command and the only real problem i have with it is the switching of throttles. As sometimes i forget the throttle position of one train or the other and when i switch it either goes tearing down the track or grinds itself to a standstill. ;D. Would appreciate if you could enlighten me to the method you use. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

Perhaps I should have said "easiest of all" in that it takes but one button press to switch from train A to train B.  Compare this to the Zephyr which may take up to 8 button presses.

As to what method I use, it depends on the layout.  I use an E-Z Command on a small, portable H0 demo layout with three trains run two at a time.  If the trains jerk a bit, so be it.  At least I can quickly switch control to avoid collisions on this crowded layout, even while talking to an audience.  On my home layouts, I use Digitrax with one throttle per train.  I consider this a necessity for operating sessions.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

djp

Well, looks like i am not the only EZ command guy who has a train jerking a bit when changing the control button. Well i will have to hold on to it till i can upgrade to something more advanced.
Get Off My Train !!!