News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trolleys and DCC

Started by ebtnut, October 09, 2013, 05:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

As a general rule, you don't have to worry about your standard two-rail DC pick-up with overhead.  The one side of the circuit to the motor is isolated from the wheel pick-up and instead wired to the trolley pole.  I did this is DC many years ago when I last helped install a working trolley.  Note that the Bachmann units come with a switch underneath that converts the rail pick-up to pole pick-up.  When I finally get the wire over the reverse loop, I plan to temporarily hook up the DCC from the narrow gauge line (the only track currently with DCC on the layout) and see how things go.  That may direct us towards the Stay Alive option. 

uscgtanker

One thing with the trolly polls is you want a spring to push up on the poll fro the best contact. Working at the east troy railroad museum we use the rails as grounders for any fault in the power, then we don't fry the passengers or the car. another source would be BBC Salvage squad centenial car. have fun with the project.

jward

Quote from: ebtnut on October 14, 2013, 01:08:29 PM
As a general rule, you don't have to worry about your standard two-rail DC pick-up with overhead.  The one side of the circuit to the motor is isolated from the wheel pick-up and instead wired to the trolley pole.  I did this is DC many years ago when I last helped install a working trolley.  Note that the Bachmann units come with a switch underneath that converts the rail pick-up to pole pick-up.  When I finally get the wire over the reverse loop, I plan to temporarily hook up the DCC from the narrow gauge line (the only track currently with DCC on the layout) and see how things go.  That may direct us towards the Stay Alive option. 

while this may work on dc, i'd have reservations about relying on simple contact with the overhead for dcc use. i think you'd be much better off wiring one rail in parallel with the overhead. redundancy like that can only increase reliability.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

Jeff:  Just as an FYI, go here for a look at what we're up to:  http://freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=2906&forum_id=53&jump_to=61831#p61831

Since you're in the area, maybe think about dropping by some time.  The club meets on Friday evenings.  I expect to be up there next Friday to maybe finish stringing the wire over the reverse loop.

jward

it's looking good.

visiting the club is on my to-do list. unfortunately, I work till 19.30 on a slow day, and much later than that when we are busy. not sure how late you guys stay, but it would be hard to get there before 21.00
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtnut

Jeff:  The guys are usually there till about 10 on Friday nights.  I'm going to get the hours/days for the holiday open houses and post them here for you (and anyone else in the Pittsburgh area). 

ebtnut

I am told that the McKeesport club will be open to the public each Friday evening and Saturday and Sunday afternoon in December.  I believe the club will be open at 7 p.m. on Fridays and from noon till 5 on Sat. and Sun. 

richg

Below is a message from a Yahoo DCC forum member. The Group is called, DCC4EVERYONE

I have been running a closed loop for at least 5 years with no issues.
Like you I am powering the trolleys from the overhead and the both rails for the "return"
I usually run the trolleys with a Digitrax Zephyr, isolated from the rest of the modules, but I have the option of running off the main system too. Just have to watch the address assignments.
Where the lines cross the module mainlines I was careful to use insulated frogs in the crossings, and made sure the overhead was above the NMRA gauge for the highest equipment. This means the trolley poles need to be a little bit longer than most street cars would be. Fortunately my railway is based on the BCER, who ran interurbans sharing the street lines, so doesn't look too odd.