EZ Track and Blocking sections

Started by PRRGuy, October 16, 2013, 03:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRRGuy

I am expanding my layout using EZ track to include more engines.  How can I electrically isolate sections, create blocks, so I can run several engines on one line.

Doneldon

Pennsy-

You can establish electrical blocks in EZTrack with insulated rail joiners the same as you would do with non-roadbed track sections. You can use two joiners to completely isolate sections or just one which permits you to run common rail. The B'mann makes electrical gap sections which have the insulators in the middle and terminals for each end of the track underneath, but I think that's a pretty expensive way to do the job. I've always found plastic rail joiners and feeders soldered to metal rail joiners to be easy and economical.
                                                                                                                                                                            -- D

jward

to add to doneldon's reply, atlas makes a line of electrical components designed to easily wire your layout for block control.

the selector has 4 dpdt slide switches in one housing, set up to wire a layout for two power packs.

the controller is designed to simplify wiring of reversing loops and other reversing sections.

these components can be ganged together in whatever configuration you desire.

another option is to use an atlas snap relay wired in parallel with your switch motor to kill power to a siding when the switch is thrown for the mainline.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Pennsy-

The DPDT switches on the Selector (or any other DPDT switches) will work equally well to select the two sides of a double power pack like MRC's Twinpower or Tech4/280. Or, you can install DCC later and use the DPDT switches to choose between DC and DCC control.

-- D