News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Accurail ready to run

Started by SteamGene, June 04, 2007, 02:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orsonroy

Quote from: Bojangle

Scroll down near the bottom left side, picture is 088_img_5901.  That might be a 50 footer, I can't tell if it is "wood" or what.  Can you help on this.  I found a NP Accurail similar to this one, which is sorta out of sync with UP, but I am just trying to match up the freight roster in the pictures.

Hi Bo,

First off, thanks for that great link! I've always wanted to head out west to chase steam, and the HV is near the top of my list! (right after the Nevada Northern!)

That's a 40-foot car. It looks longer because it's a low-sided car. We're used to seeing boxcars with 10 foot tall sides, and this one has sides that are 8'6".

F&C makes a kit for a very similar NP car. If you don't want to build a resin kit, you could come close by taking an Accurail USRA double sheathed boxcar and replacing the steel fishbelly center sills with trussrods.
Ray Breyer
Modeling the NKP's Peoria Division, 1949

lanny

Stephen,

That's a very nice caboose. Who is the mfg.?

If you have the grabirons and othe details that need to be added, Stephen, pack em' up and send it to me (I don't have any IC orange paint, but I think I could get some floquill or scalecoat in a jar for touch up purposes. I'll be glad to do the final detailing for you if you wish. Contact me off line if you are interested  (editortcs@aol.com).

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Stephen Warrington

Hi Lanny,

They are made by Centralia Car shops, very limited run assembled by Intermountain. Only thing I dont like about them is they use Accumate couplers.

I think you will like the red ones better as they are Steam era and Green Diamond era paint schemes. Ron at Deplaines Hobbies has them all in stock Orange ones are $31.00 the Reds are $25.00 but come with plastic wheels which I got to find some more 33" simi scale wheel sets for.

You up to doing 4 for me and adding scaleKadee couplers to them?

I'll drop you a Email.

Stephen

PS: I am finally getting my order of IC and GM&O hoppers from Discount Trains after 5 months of waiting and calling them to cancel the order  ::) all Accurail kits except for the 4 piggyback flatsand a Con Cor Greenville open hopper.

Bojangle

Ray
I started another thread on the HVRR, the main photo gallery link is a little hard to find. It's under the "media" dropdown.
http://www.hebervalleyrr.org/photo_gallery1/HVRR_photogallery1.htm
Be forewarned,the pics are huge.
I may have to reconsider my first opinion of Accurail.  The first (and only )one I have literally fell apart, and the wheels were bad.  There seems to be a "love/hate" thing about the line. Maybe I just got a bad one, as have seen good reviews here: they have a great selection.
I prefer RTR, as I'm not comfortable with kits with my eyes.  Having a hard time finding the 40 footers I want.  I'll have to keep looking.  Maybe someday I will be able to tell one car from another, model RR is all new to me.
Bo

lanny

Stephen,

Sure, I'm up to do four! If you ship the four to me with all the parts and couplers, I'll be glad to add hand rails and couplers and ship them back. I 'owe' you for those absolutely gorgeous photos of IC #2547 (2542?) at McComb which will be the reference I use in my Spec Mtn kit bash.

I'll send you an email off line.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler