News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-6-0

Started by Narrowgauge12, November 20, 2013, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narrowgauge12

Hi, Im trying to figure out what would be the best thing to convert a Bachmann 4-6-0 to run on both track power an battery power. I have a good idea of what to do as in wiring, but what would be a good size battery and RC system to use with it? I was thinking a 12 to 15 volt battery pack but i'm to to sure. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Loco Bill Canelos

It is an easy conversion, I use 14.8 volt lithium Ion batteries with great success, and have even made my own battery packs.   On level tracks pulling 4 passenger cars I get over 6 hours of runtime.  All-battery.com has great made up battery packs at very reasonable prices.

Have fun, Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Tony Walsham

Can't help you with a track and battery conversion.  Once converted to battery power very few users ever stick with the track power option.
Here is one way to do battery only power.
http://www.rcs-rc.com/app/webroot/PDF/Acessories/Installation-kits/BIK-ANNIE.pdf
Tony Walsham
Founding member of the battery Mafia.

(Remote Control Systems).

Loco Bill Canelos

When I replied earlier I forgot to mention that I am using the Crest Electronics Revolution R/C system.  It is an excellent system and easy to use as well.  The latest receivers have sound built in and are very low cost compared to a separate receiver and sound system.   

You can learn about this system here:

http://shop.crest-electronics.net/main.sc 
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Narrowgauge12

Thanks all for the reply's! Now comes the fun part, rebuilding and modifying the locomotive!