Bachmann Standard Line, DCC-Equipped HO RS3

Started by jbrock27, October 31, 2013, 01:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrock27

Hello.

I searched first for an answer to the question I have but could not find it, even though I found lots of mentions for the newer Bachmann RS3s.  It does seem from what I found that there is a lot of praise their running qualities.

My question is, in order to have this loco run on a DC operated layout, is there anything that needs to be done to it programming wise in order to get it to do that?  I have no hands on experience with DCC and therefore have no DCC equipment, which is why I ask this question.

Thank you all in advance for your help.
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Go look at the documentation in Parts.
All Bachmann on board non sound and sound are suppose to run on DC without any programming, IF purchased new from a store. A private sale, maybe not. Some people disable the feature because it does cause issues when run on DCC under certain conditions.

A new user here, do yourself a favor by looking though all the Bachmann site. Many new users never do that.

Rich

jbrock27

Thanks for the reply Rich.  I had only looked through Topics, so thanks for the suggestion to search everywhere on the site.
I would only be buying brand new through a store, but thank you as well for the forewarning about pre-used msde.

What is your definition of "new user"?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

jb-

I think you are more of an old hat than a newbie.

Bachmann DCC decoders detect whether available power is
DC or DCC and operate accordingly. Rich is correct in saying
that some people disable the DC end.
                                                                             -- D

jbrock27

Thank you Doc, that's very kind, but I would put myself somewhere in between, maybe.  And with some ways to go still.

Yes, Rich touched an important point about that being a possibility when buying 2nd hand.  If that turned out to be the case, I would have no way to "reactivate" to DC mode.

Happy Halloween!
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

if I am not mistaken, the rs3 should have an 8 pin decoder, with a dummy plug included in the box. if you unplug the decoder and plug in the dummy plug instead, your locomotive should operate on dc just like any other loco would. if you leave the decoder plugged in, it will run very sluggish on dc. you'll need to use about half your throttle steeing just to get it to move.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

jb-

One of the best parts of model railroading is that all of us always have "some ways to go yet."

Resetting a Bachmann decoder to its default values will restore the DC/DCC discrimination and function.

-- D

jbrock27

Thank you for the info Jeff.

Doc, would what you are suggesting, require the use of a DCC system?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

jbrock27

Thank you for clarifying Doc.  If I ran into that scenario, I would be up the creek w/o a paddle, as I don't have or have access to, DCC equipment.
Keep Calm and Carry On