News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identifying older model steamer

Started by drafter55, November 11, 2013, 03:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drafter55

I have an older 2-6-0(?) steam locomotive. Road name is A.T. & S.F. Road number is 2126. Tender is sloped from middle to rear. Looks like the USRA 0-6-0.

It was given to me disassembled. I have no idea of it's value, thus no idea if worth sending back to Bachmann to assemble. Eventually I would try to add a DCC decoder.

Would appreciate any assistance with identifying and determining value, if any.

Thanks

Frank 

richg

The 2-6-0 is essentially the 0-6-0 with a lead truck from what I have seen in previous post here. I don't think Bachmann would assemble it for you. You could assemble it yourself and return it for a replacement model. Look in the Parts page for the diagram and see how it goes together. You can also email the parts department and ask them.
If it is the old pancake motor version, HO Seeker site has the diagram for the loco.

http://www.hoseeker.net/bachmann.html

Store the link in Favorites.

You can download the PDF for both versions. The newer ones I think have a can motor. Quite possibly Bachmann will send you an 0-6-0.

Rich

Irbricksceo

The 0-6-0 (and the 2-6-0 by extension) Is not the easiest to make DCC but it is possible, I have not done it myself as i don't have dcc just yet but the thing to watch out for is that the Frame is two metal pieces and thus must be kept insulated. As for the locomotive, how badly is it disassembled? I may have gotten luck but several years back I sent in a spectrum 2-8-0 in pieces and got a shiny new one in the mail a few weeks later.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

If you ever consider DCC.
There are tiny decoders barely larger than a dime that will work and good for one amp. It will fit in the loco.
There are no metal wheels of pickups in the tender. No wiring between the tender and loco.
I use a DZ125 in a Plymouth switcher that has the old pancake motor.
Easy for values of values of easy, to isolate the motor brushes. Hook up to the light bulb.

Rich

Doneldon

Frank-

The Bachmann 0-6-0 is the same chassis as the 2-6-0 and 2-6-2. These are pretty basic models
but they can be jigged into well operating locomotives. The most important thing is to add metal
wheels to the tender and set it up for electrical pickup.
                                                                                            -- D

richg

Quote from: Doneldon on November 11, 2013, 10:09:20 PM
Frank-

The Bachmann 0-6-0 is the same chassis as the 2-6-0 and 2-6-2. These are pretty basic models
but they can be jigged into well operating locomotives. The most important thing is to add metal
wheels to the tender and set it up for electrical pickup.
                                                                                            -- D

If you adventurous, here is what would work for tender pickups.

http://www.55n3.org/cars/tender_wipers/

Rich

drafter55

Thanks for the replies.

All wheels have been removed along with what appears to be the bottom cover plate.
The rear screw holding the motor and gear assembly has been removed, leaving only the front screw.

I will check out the recommended web site for drawings to see if I can reassemble or at least determine if all of the pieces are there.

If I were to use the tender for pick-up, finding small connectors to install between the locomotive and tender could be interesting.

I am a member of Lake County Model Railroad Club in Wauconda, Illinois. I bought a Thomas the Tank engine and installed an N gauge decoder. We have open houses twice a year so the kids should enjoy seeing Thomas running on the layout. That was a fairly small decoder. I would be concerned with installing a Z gauge decoder.

Thanks again for the advice.

Frank