News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Decoder installation

Started by Mark FL, November 01, 2013, 07:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

A friend gave me his DCC decoder from his Bachmann GP 30 and I want to install it into my Backmann GP 30. All i need is a wiring diagram. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic ? 

richg

Just follow the NMRA standards for decoders.
Does it come with LED's?
What does your loco have for lighting.
We really need more info.

Rich

richg

Quote from: Mark FL on November 01, 2013, 07:56:01 PM
A friend gave me his DCC decoder from his Bachmann GP 30 and I want to install it into my Backmann GP 30. All i need is a wiring diagram. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic ?  

Is this the decoder? You should include a photo.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_183&products_id=1268

According to the diagram page, it looks like it drops in place on the split frame. The decoder would have to contact each frame side and the two motor contacts. The LED's are soldered to the decoder. I did not find a manual or instructions. The instructions "might" come with the decoder if you bought it from Bachmann.

Look at the decoder link and go look at the diagram page.

Rich

Mark FL

Thanks Rich. The decoder that you have shown on your attached link is the one I have. I think I know how to solder everything up. (pretty straight forward). Now All i need to find are the CV codes to reset and get it running again. Thanks for your help.

richg

Quote from: Mark FL on November 02, 2013, 02:42:03 PM
Thanks Rich. The decoder that you have shown on your attached link is the one I have. I think I know how to solder everything up. (pretty straight forward). Now All i need to find are the CV codes to reset and get it running again. Thanks for your help.

You want the EZ Command link in the Parts page.

Rich

jward

the pc board in the link is not a decoder. it is the light board for the gp30. it has no dcc capabilities.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

richg

Quote from: jward on November 02, 2013, 05:17:08 PM
the pc board in the link is not a decoder. it is the light board for the gp30. it has no dcc capabilities.

Click on the photo in the link to make it larger. Download the photo in the link. You can see all the components used in a non sound decoder. Blow up the picture a few times. I did before posting the link The components are very similar to my 70 ton DCC on board loco. Notice the chips, SMD Integrated circuits.
The Parts page shows the PC board for just lighting and the PC board decoder right next to it. Very few components on a PC board for only.
Even a PC board with eight pin socket for DCC ready will not have near as many parts either.

Rich

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_68_183&products_id=1268

Rich

Mark FL

Well I got it figured out. Just wanted to be sure i did not short something out.  Thank you all for your help. and by the way Jward i guess you can tell i am a novice. I am learning though.

jward

even somebody with 40 years in the hobby can be a novice with dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA