News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fly wheel Engines

Started by Mark FL, November 03, 2013, 09:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

I am getting ready to purchase two GP-40 DCC engines. Should I invest in flywheel or does it make any difference? ( also should i order with sound chip or install on my own later)?

Doneldon

Mark-

I'll share with you my opinion on your questions, but recognize that opinions aren't necessarily absolute answers about what to do. I'm sure you'll get different opinions here, and they will be every bit as good, or as lousy, as mine.

I believe flywheels enhance running characteristics. They can keep locos going when there are oxidized spots on the rails, they can help carry short wheelbase locos through turnouts, they can make locos operate more smoothly and they can help locos operate at very low speeds. Some of these issues aren't relevant to GP40s because they have long wheelbases and shouldn't have continuity issues, but the others will apply. One thing flywheels can't do is preventing DCC and sound systems from resetting if there is a momentary loss of power to the decoder.

I'll suggest that you purchase locomotives with sound installed when available. It's usually a little less expensive that way (but not always, due to sales and other promotions), it dodges the hassle of doing the install and it typically means that the install is covered by the manufacturer's warranty. That last can be helpful if things are messed up on arrival or soon after. However, there are sound reasons (no pun intended) for doing your own install, too. One of those is a great price on the components you need. The other is wanting features available on only certain decoders, and not included on the decoder which comes with the loco you want.
                                                                                                                                                                                     -- D

Jerrys HO

Mark
I agree with Don, flywheels are a great feature but you can get as good of running capabilities with a good decoder with Back EMF. If set right they can perform just as well as a loco with flywheels.
I have not looked in my GP40 that close to see if there is even any room to add flywheels without filing out the chasis.

Jerry

jbrock27

I agree with Doc and Jerry and have always looked to purchase locos with flywheels as opposed to those w/o as I have found they run better w/flywheels.  But I run DC strictly.
That said, as Jerry touched on and what limited amount I have read about the subject of DCC, flywheels seems to have less importance for good running when the loco is DCC controlled.

I will add, that I have also found weight to be important-the more weight, the better ability to pull, particularly up a grade.

Good luck with your shopping!
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

regarding the gp40s, Bachmann doesn't make them with sound and flywheels, I think atlas does but at probably 2-3-times the cost.

that said, in my experience the Bachmann gp40 is smooth enough on dcc that you won't need a flywheel. just be sure you adjust the momentum settings to compensate for the lack of flywheel. I usually adjust cv4 to a value of 3. this is the deceleration setting, and allows the locomotive to drift a little after you shut off power rather than coming to an abrupt stop.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Stephen D. Richards

Mark,  I echo the above wholeheartedly!  Jeff is also correct, Bachmann DCC GP4's don't come with flywheels.  However, I like to build and rebuild locomotives, rolling stock etc.  I have a small parts machine shop so I have an advantage there.  I mill out an area in the frame and then turn smaller than usual flywheels.  The only thing I have noticed is a bit smoother performance than without.  But bear in mind it is a lot of extra work for a barely noticeable improvement.  I do it just because I want to get the best out of the locomotives and I really enjoy the challenge.  Remember it's your railroad and always have fun! ;D