Acela spectrum ho dcc ready

Started by Pete471, November 12, 2013, 11:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete471

Hi to you
Some advice please. 
I have the Acela Express electric train set in ho scale.  It says it is dcc ready.  Does this mean it has dcc on board ready to go, or I have to purchase a dcc chip for it
If I have to purchase the dcc chip, what should I be purchasing please
And if I have how do I install it please
Many thanks

Doneldon

Pete-

"DCC on board" means that a DCC decoder is installed and the loco track ready. "DCC ready" means that the loco is ready for DCC installation, i.e., the motor is electrically isolated (usually the case for current models since the cans the motors come in do the job) and there will be a DCC plug on a circuit board or a tethered plug, either of which will permit an easy connection of the decoder. There was some confusion around these terms in the past because different manufacturers applied them inconsistently, but the usage is pretty much uniform now.
                                                                                                                                                                    -- D

jonathan

Pete,

I have the DCC ready set.

You will need a decoder with an 8 pin plug.  The Bachmann decoder works just fine, and is economical.

You will have to remove the loco shell, which is not easy on this model. There are tabs on the rear door cushion and the nose piece.  Carefully remove these. Then the shell can be removed by gently spreading the sides of the shell.  Be careful of the sprung doors, as the springs like to let go at inopportune times.  Also, the hanging steps/ladders are very delicate.

The decoder receptacle has a dummy plug.  Pull that and plug in the decoder.  Reassemble.  Voila.

Regards,

Jonathan