Purchased Bachmann Thunder Valley, is it DCC ready?

Started by spyrule, December 18, 2013, 08:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spyrule

Hello,

I purchased the Bachmann Thunder Valley set for my father as a Christmas gift (he is switching from HO to N guage).

However, after some talking, he asked if it was DCC Ready or capable ?

I have no clue, and the box doesn't indicate it one way or another.

Can someone answer this?

ALCO539

Is the locomotive a GP-40? If it is, I would say it's not DCC ready and may be a hard one to convert.  All of the TV's I found on ebay were GP-40's. Take a look at this site http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachgp40.html. He reviews the GP-40 and doesn't even mention DCC, a bad sign. Not that it can't be done, others here that are DCC people will have to chime in. I hope this helps. Charley.

Edit: WOW! My eyes are bad, I didn't see the link on your post to the Thunder Valley, the blue color blended in, and of course it's a GP-40.

richg

Quote from: spyrule on December 18, 2013, 08:46:28 PM
Hello,

I purchased the Bachmann Thunder Valley set for my father as a Christmas gift (he is switching from HO to N guage).

However, after some talking, he asked if it was DCC Ready or capable ?

I have no clue, and the box doesn't indicate it one way or another.

Can someone answer this?

If the ad does not say anything about DCC then it is not ready for DCC. I just looked. Ad says it comes with power pack which is DC. If DCC, the ad would say it.
DCC capable, no idea. Would be difficult in N scale. Many diesels have a good size frame that takes up much of the shell.

Rich

Albert in N

The Santa Fe GP-40 in the Thunder Valley set is NOT DCC ready.  I own one.  Besides not being wired for DCC, the frame is not notched for adding a chip or DCC board.  The GP-40 in the set has not changed much in over 20 years, if at all.  Another concern is that the couplers are not magnetic and cannot be used for switching cars.  The couplers on the locomotive and freight cars are dummy knuckle couplers (or ugly Rapidos if the set was made prior to 2007, or thereabouts).  The Thunder Valley set is a beginner set and is rugged and dependable for those, like me, who enjoy simply running trains using DC only.  If it does not work out, maybe it could be a Christmas return item.  Sure DCC and operating couplers are nice, but price goes up substantially over a beginner set with DC power pack.  My gut feeling is that Bachmann will eventually offer a beginner DCC N scale set, like the ones that they have offered in HO for those preferring DCC.