News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DD40AX Pickup problems

Started by ALCO1000, October 30, 2013, 03:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALCO1000

Hello MR. Bachmann
I have the new dda40x with sound that has developed some pickup problems causing the engines sound to cut out like an intermittent stall .then the sound resets to start up , I found out during the inspection for dirty track wheels ect.. that this engine only pics up on 8 wheels unlike the older version that picks up on all 16,Is this just a defect in the pickup strips on the trucks not being cut out all the way BY THE FACTORY , looks like it could be done with a cutting tool of course with everything apart TO IMPROVE BACK TO SORT OF THE OLDER STYLE ,BUT IS THIS JUST A FLAWED PART THAT I COULD GET REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY ??, OR SHOULD I JUST GO FOR IT AND REWORK THE PART THAT IS ALREADY THERE BY SPLITTING THE CENTER TABS TO CONTACT THE INNER 2 WHEELS ON EACH TRUCK , KIND OF LIKE A WIPER ON THE BACKS OF THE WHEELS? I HAVE SOME REPAIR EXPERIENCE, BUT WOULD THIS VOID THE WARRANTY ?We called the service department and they said thats the way it was made.I AM BEWILDERED, IS THERE SOME NEW PARTS YET?THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

ALCO1000

So , I thought I would be patient and see if there were any suggestions,but Notta , I went ahead and modified all  8 wheel wipers so that the other 8 WHEELS would have the ability to pic up current Now A total of 16 wheels Pic up electrical current RATHER THAN JUST THE STOCK 8 WHEEL ELECTRICAL PICKUP, IT was quite easy and seemed like a great way for THE MAKER TO save a penny ,but set up the next person for an easy modification , Now it will move all around on speed step 1 with sound smooth and steady with no bumps or Jurks, no stalling and restart in the middle of a operating session,,What a great runner, Built in China, Rebuilt in USA ! Thanks Anyway for all your help  out there!

Jerrys HO

QuoteBuilt in China, Rebuilt in USA !

Now that's what I'm talking about. Great job Alco. Wish you had pics of your work to maybe help out with other's possibly having the same issue.

Jerry

ALCO1000

Thanks Jerry        ,I will try to do this , the upgrade really helped on this DD since my track need a little cleaning although the heavier engines that i run like THE NEW TOOLING DASH 8 STANDARD CAB REALLY ARE NOT EFFECTED  BY A DUSTY TRACK, SEEMS LIKE THE SOUND EQUIPPED ENGINES ARE A LITTLE TOUCHY,weather It is my NEW Broadway limited rsd 15 , or my new Great Bachmann s4 sound ho diesel,,I will take some pics tonight of the completed work to the pickups to share what I have found and it is all labor, no parts needed!

Doneldon

Alco-

It's not so much that the sound engines are touchy as it is decoders' intolerance of even
what seems to be a nanosecond of lost power. A flywheel might help a loco roll over a
turnout or a small dead spot on the rails but the sound will reboot every time.
                                                                                                                      -- D

rbryce1

Most good sound cards have small capacitors installed to prevent just this from occurring, giving just enough power to the decoder to jump these small gaps.  If his sound board has these capacitors, maybe one is bad.