News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Diesel Engines

Started by RRRookie, November 13, 2013, 11:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRRookie

Can you tell me what type of diesel engine that Bachman supplies to the Bradford Exchange for the St Louis Rams football team train. I have checked the Bradford Exchange website but it does not say. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Dave

richg

Comparing the photo from the Bradford Exchange with the photos in the on line Bachmann site I would say a F7A and F7B. Check yourself. Very easy to do since you know how to use a computer to go on line.

Rich

Irbricksceo

I agree with rich, it looks to me to be an F7 AB pair. This makes sense actually, the vast majority of Bachmann "Collectors Sets" That i have seen in Gift shops and the like used the F7.
Modeling NYC in N

richg

The Alco Bachmann sells is similar but the F7 is the most sold in sets. They are definitely different if you look close and not familiar with diesels.

Rich

RRRookie

Thanks for the help Richg & Irbricksceo, I have been looking on line but kept seeing the portholes on the sides of the f7s (ret. navy).  I guess I'm a little picky. The quality of the engine the BF exng sent was not that good. I was looking to swap out the body to a better quality engine. Have already changed the couplers to K D nuckle. Again thaks for the help.

richg

I wonder if the set you have, would the shells fit the present sets of F7, DCC non sound or sound?
I suspect the sets has some sentimental value to you.
What kind of motor inside? I suspect only the A unit has a motor in a cheap set.
The older versions had a motor on the rear truck of the A unit.
The newer have a can motor in the center of the loco and drives both trucks though a drive shaft to each truck.
Look at the diagram page to see what the locos look like now.

Rich

RRRookie

It was a recent birthday gift from my kids. Yes only the A unit is motorized, will look into what kind when I get home. The quality leaves a lot to be desired but it gives me another little project.

Jerrys HO

Both are the F7  body and chassis and are interchangeable. RRRookie, if you plan on swapping you may want to check out the newer sound value so you will have sound also.

Jerry

richg

You can find the F7A & B with sound for $100.00 each. Micro Mart.
I have not looked at The Favorite Spot.

The non sound with DCC on board will be a little less.

DCC ready versions that run on DC are about $58.00.

Rich

Doneldon

Quote from: RRRookie on November 13, 2013, 02:34:56 PM
I have been looking on line but kept seeing the portholes on the sides of the f7s (ret. navy).

Sailor Man-

Actually, they are called "portholes!"

-- D

RRRookie

Thanks again Rich and Jerry, I will definately look into the sound. Plan on going to the train show in Norcross Ga this month if I dont find it there will check out Micro Mart.

Gratefully Dave