News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track #6 Turnout Question

Started by kbell1958, September 22, 2007, 06:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kbell1958

I'm using an EZ track #6 turnout to create a siding for my passenger train.  I would like the siding to be parallel to the mainline, but in order to do so, I need a 10 degree curve.  Kato makes one for their Unitrak.  What could I do to make the Unitrak and the EZ track "work and play well" together? Would it be simpler to use a piece of flex track for this purpose?

the Bach-man

Dear Kbell,
The differences among track systems are basically the interlocking roadbed tabs and rail end positions. Trimming the ends with a track saw will even them up, but that would affect the curve dimensions. If you're going to cut anyway, use any radius of EZ Track and make the cut where it's perpendicular to the main line.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jake

Yes, but those are so small (radius wise) that it would defeate the purpose of a #6 turnout. (running larger engines...) not to mention it would make a nasty s-bend.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

kbell1958

Thanks to everyone for their input! I got a 12 degree piece of 31.25 radius curve and used a straight edge to determine where the piece became parallel to the main line and cut it there.  I just need to sand it down to smooth the cut over and then I plan to glue a straight piece to it and solder the rails to complete the connection electrically.  Hopefully, that'll work.  If not, I guess its back to the drawing board.  Has Bachmann ever considered making a piece like that and including it with the turnout like Atlas and Kato do?

Hoople

Personally I'd just get some atlas flex and some homasote roadbed and fix the issue, or create a headshunt with a 2nd turnout.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!