News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting Started...first post

Started by show33, November 15, 2013, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

Having been considering the switch to DCC myself, i have extensively looked at various systems. The EZ command is, to me,  a great place to start (I  may even do so) A nice feature it has is that you can hook up a DC power pack to it so a kid can drive one locomotive while you do another and so on. It is limited in what it can do but it is a nice starting place.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

NCE is considered by many to be the best DCC system out there.

Irbricksceo

As said above, NCE systems tend to be the most powerful, you can do a LOT more with them, the difference comes at a cost.

It is true that Most manufacturers have starter sets
NCE has the Powercab
Bachmann The EZ command
Digitrax The Zephyr
and more.

All of the above have their perks. THe NCE system can be found at a reasonable price if you look  I don't care for it personally because I prefer a Knob Throttle to buttons but that may not matter to you. The Zephyr is another good one, stronger than the EZ command, Weaker than the NCE system, a happy medium.

In the end, do research on different Systems and choose what works best for you.
Modeling NYC in N

rogertra

My NCE has a thumb wheel throttle, just as good as a knob and in fact I find it actually easier to use as you can operate the throttle with one hand Vs the two hands needed for a knob throttle.

Really convenient when switching as you can have the throttle in one hand and your uncoupling tool in the other.

jbrock27

http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/offthecuff.htm

Here is some info that may help you show33.  There is another place I saw a good comparison of various systems, the pluses and minuses.  Am looking for it now.
From what I recall reading, NCE seems to have the most features for the money, as Roger mentioned.  Ask yourself questions like: how big a layout do you want to run?  what kind of functions to you want to replicate on the layout?  do you like track with the plastic roadbed or do you want to use flex track and ballast?
permanent layout or removeable?  how long do you think your interest will last?
My opinion is to not buy a set but use your money to buy the components you want; kinda like putting a stereo system together by buying separate components instead buying an all in one out of the box.  That way you get better individual components.  It may cost a little more, but in the end, you may enjoy it longer and be less tempted to want to spend the $$ to upgrade.  I don't envy your making these decisions, I am content with the dark ages of DC for now.

You are right Rich.  All it took was a little bit on a toothpick dabbed around the thread of the nut and walla!
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

To Jerry's point about other brand starter sets having n/s Bachmann track-Athearn sets come with Bachmann's n/s grey road bed track and an Athearn power pack.  In my opinon that is a better power supply than the basic Bachmann power supply.  These sets are DC not DCC and he is right about these brands (Bachmann and Athearn) having sets that have quality wheels, rolling stock, couplers and track.
Keep Calm and Carry On