News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting Started...first post

Started by show33, November 15, 2013, 01:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

show33

Good Afternoon All:
First post on this forum. Found some excellent information so far.

As a little background, I grew up with HO trains and have been itching to get back into it for a while. I am looking to start small, see if I can get the kids interested in the hobby. Don't want to spend a ton of money off the bat, but also don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't last, or will need to be replaced in the future.

My intial plan was to get a cheap "starter set" and a track expansion pack. A few questions...

Is that the best way to start?
I was leaning towards steel track, but most of you seem to think the nickel is worth the extra expense...is that correct?
Am I correct in saying that the cars in the cheaper starter sets have plastic wheels? That's a concern if true, right?
Is there a starter set that comes with the better track, loco, cars?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that will work for now.

Any input and opinions would be greatly appreciated

jbrock27

Yes, when starting from square one, it is best to go with nickel silver track.
Do you know if you want to go DC or jump to DCC from the get go?
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Welcome.

We don't think nickel is best, we know nickel is best. Experience. It still needs occasional cleaning but not near as much as steel.
Steel is just cheaper to get people started in the hobby. Some do mix it for cost reasons. They may have had it for a while. It may be ok starting out to get kids interested. Steel can develop corrosion faster depending on the moisture in the atmosphere.

Now do you want a DC starter set or DCC starter set? Bachmann DCC and DCC with sound will run on a DC power pack.

Not sure if you have taken time to pour though all the links on the Bachmann site. Lots of documents to help get you started.

Rich

richg

Take time to look through the messages in the Bachmann forums, at least General and HO. Right near yours is Track Types. Look at the discussions.

Rich

show33

OK, nickel track it is...that's the first decison made.

Now off to read through DC vs DCC.

Thanks for the info

jbrock27

Excellent choice!

I could tell by your 1st post that you did not need to be reminded to search the board for good info.  You are off to a great start!  Enjoy your research and good luck!
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

One issue to be aware of. If you use DC to control a loco with DCC non sound or sound, you will have to turn the controller up somewhat higher than normal for a DC only loco. The DCC decoders need at least five volts DC just to wake up the microprocessor on the decoder. Maybe a couple volts more for the loco to move. Only one loco at a time.

Some sounds will be automatic. With a DCC controller, you will have more control over sounds and you can control more than one loco at the same time on the same layout.

In the on line catalog, there are DC only locos, Analog, DCC equipped locos which are called EZ Command, and DCC with sound on board. There are also DCC Ready which usually come with a six pin adapter in the socket on the PC board which are for DC or sometimes called analog.
The product descriptions will tell you the details. At least they do for me.
One of the downsides new DCC users are usually not aware of is , DCC is sensitive to slight power interruptions usually caused by a non powered turnout frog or dirty track. The microprocessor resets. Many times a DC only loco will hardly notice a slight interruption.

A very good company is The Favorite Spot. I just got an email update to their sire. Lots of Bachmann products. and good prices similar to Micro Mark.
Even Amazon.com is pretty good with free shipping over $35.00 for many products.

Rich

richg

The Favorite Spot is showing a 0-6-0 DCC Equipped with smoke. This loco has been DC, analog in the past with smoke. Right now, I assume the site is correct. Smoke will be messy but kids like it.

Rich

jbrock27

Btw Rich, thanks again for the tip some time back on using the blue Loctite to hold the threads of a truck screw in place in a nut.  Works like a charm :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

You are welcome. Stuff comes in handy every so often. A little goes a long way.

Rich

show33

Thanks Rich - I have used Favorite Spot for slot car stuff in the past and they are very good.

So, think I am leaning towards DC - primarily for financial reasons.

With that in mind, I am now thinking that a starter set is not the best idea - they all seem to have the steel track and lesser quality cars, locos. Unless I am missing something.

Now thinking that a bulk nickel track package is the way to go. Then buy first train and power/control separately which would allow me to buy better quality than in starter set.

How does that sound??

Irbricksceo

To be honest, it depends on what you plan to get. If you are going DC, A small starter set may be cheaper for the locomotive and cars, than individually, although you will want to not use the track, you still get a power pack, locomotive, and 2-4 cars.

While it is true that the Locomotives are usually "standard line" They are decent for children. The 0-6-0 for steam and the F7 for Diesel I have found to be relatively durable and run alright.
If you DO want a higher quality locomotive, I would recommend The  Spectrum (now called standard) 2-8-0 for Steam or SD-45 for Diesel. Be aware however that, while they have a lot more detail, they are much easier for kids to damage.

One more thing, keep the following in mind: Smaller Radius Track can't have bigger locomotives, and two: If you run them on a table, leave a few inches between the track and the table edge. Children love to send Trains fast and it would be a shame for them to "take the plunge" and break.

Best of luck and  I am glad you are sharing this with your children!
Modeling NYC in N

Jerrys HO

show33,

It's not a bad idea to build your own starter set but in the first post you stated you did not want to...
QuoteDon't want to spend a ton of money off the bat, but also don't want to waste my money on something that doesn't last, or will need to be replaced in the future.

IMHO I would suggest starting with the Digital Commander or Diesel Commander set.
Both sets are DCC with the basic EZ Command to get you started learning about DCC and they come with nickel silver track. The rolling stock has metal wheels and EZ Mate knuckle couplers. The set is an excellent starter set which can be expanded on.
The rolling stock is by far not cheap train set quality from the past.

I started with both sets and have evolved to a 30x16 layout. There are other brand starter sets out there also which use Bachmann track but I am not sure if it's steel or nickel.

Welcome aboard and if the kids don't get hooked, I bet you will. ;D ;D ;D

Jerry

richg

I just looked at The Favorite Spot and they sell NS track kits. Buy your own loco, rolling stock, DC power pack.

Rich

show33

Jerry - I just checked out the Digital Commander set. Just spent some time checking out the EZ command system on youtube and that looks very cool...and like you said, come with the NS track and 2 locos.

This looks like the best value set I have seen so far.

Man, this is going to be tougher than I thought!