Digitrax decoder on bachmann dynamics system

Started by benz8985, November 16, 2013, 02:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benz8985

Can I used an engine I bought on eBay that has a digitrax decoder in it on my bachmann dynamics system?

jward

yes. decoders are standardized so that any system should be able to run any decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tammo

It seems that the DCC Onboard turnouts are not standard.  I have a Digitrax with E-Z Track layout and the turnouts keep losing their adress, requiring me to reprogram them just about every other time or so that I use the system.

Any ideas how to fix that?  Right now I've given up using dcc to throw the points, doing it manually.

jward

no idea on that. after running on others layouts with dcc switches I found them cumbersome and confusing to operate. properly wired, analog control of switch motors works better for me and I suspect that it may for you as well. digitrax is known to have issues programming Bachmann and atlas decoders. with mobile decoders you can clip a 1k ohm resistor across the programming leads to solve the problem, but I don't know how you'd do this with an accessory decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Tammo

Thanks for the swift reply.  I am planning on operating the solenoid directly with DC.  I have experimented on a spare swith.  I just don't remember what voltage to use.  I have used a 9-volt battery to test the wiring but that doesn't seem to work.  Do I need more voltage?  I'm afraid to boost it for fear of burning it out.  I don't have an analog powerpack to test with.  Btw, I 've cut into the wiring between the decoder and the solenoid.

Any ideas on operating those DCC turnouts remotely, without DCC?

jward

the solenoids generally run off 12-16 v ac but they are often used with capacitor discharge circuits which put out about 12v dc. they take a lot of current to throw, so even if you could use a 9v battery for power it wouldn't last long.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Doneldon

Tammo-

Your turnouts should work just fine without DCC if you remove the decoder circuitry and then wire the three wires leading to the switch machine to a double-pole-single-throw momentary contact electrical switch. Toggle switches are great because their position reflects the turnout's direction. They'll work well on a central control panel or the layout's fascia. 

You can power your switch machines with about 14v AC or DC at an amp or so. Be sure to use momentary contact switches or you'll burn the solenoids out right away. Then the turnout is effectively junk unless you obtain and install a new solenoid and a proper switch.
                                                               -- D

Tammo

Thanks jward and Doneldon.  You both agree on the voltage.  That must be my problem with the 9-volt battery not producing enough energy.  I was hoping that was the simple answer.

Thank you both and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

:D :D :D