News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Just some insight on the new 2-8-0

Started by Irbricksceo, November 16, 2013, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

So, I just got one of the new "standard" 2-8-0's. I know there has been some discussion regarding It's performance (especially regarding the 3-pole motor) So I thought i would share my two cents.

The Locomotive looks the same as the Spectrum ones, So cosmetically, It matches perfectly. As for running, It actually performs quite nicely, contrary to some fears, It runs slow speed very well, even without breaking it in it could take two second per wheel rotation without stuttering. In my opinion, The new motor is not a problem, it was made well enough to do the job.

So yeah, in summation, It is a perfectly fin locomotive (though why they switched it i have no idea) The only problem i had was the wires were too stiff and lifted the tender off the rails. I pushed them upwards and it eventually worked but That is an issue on many Bachmann Locomotives.
Modeling NYC in N

MarkInLA

I have the HO spectrum model. Runs very nice, too. Chuff rate was very hard to sync up. With everybody's help I finally got it 94% correct ( will never be 100% without a cam. Yet non-Spectrum 2-6-0 syncs up 99% if not 100% perfect using CV116 only !). My tender had same problem. After a few weeks the wire stops the lifting it.. Engine did a cool thing last night: I had wired up a wye track situation wrongly..Conny kept tooting whistle 3 times just like a real one approaching a potential disaster up ahead..I knew something was wrong. (found rail insulators were in wrong place in relation to switch it was approaching). All fixed..

Pacific Northern

Boy, do I remember that when it was revealed that the 5 pole motor had been replaced with a 3 pole motor

The discussions on this site really heated up with some members of this site being  adamant that no 3 pole motor could ever match a 5 pole motor in terms of performance.

The Bachmann indicated that the 3 pole replacement motor had been tested and it was a close match to the 5 pole, and it was more efficient a motor.

There were even formula being presented on both sides of the argument showing the performance of each of the motors.

I myself have both and I can not tell the difference unless I check to see which are the 3 pole motors and which are the 5 pole motors.
Pacific Northern

Irbricksceo

Really the biggest issue is I hate the plastic packaging they use now. The foam was much better.
Modeling NYC in N

Pacific Northern

I agree 100% with you. I did buy a few Spectrum Heavy Mountain engines that came in the new packaging and there were parts knocked off the engine during transit.

Same thing with the Bachmann 2-8-4 the plastic did not protect the bell which came of both of those.

At least Bachmann parts did send me bell replacements for those that were broken in transit.

Most of my Bachmann Spectrum roster did come in those black boxes with the foam blocks used to protect the engines.

I re-cut the foam in most of the boxes of the engines I used on my layout, so that the engine and tender could be stored without having to separate that weak link of a wiring harness.

I even cut the clam shell (hard plastic forming) of the new packaging so that the engine and tender could remain connected, so that the plugs were not being disturbed more than was necessary.

Pacific Northern

Irbricksceo

I was planning on the same thing! I lost a locomotive to a broken plug a few years back and have done that ever since then. The plugs are so very flimsy...
Modeling NYC in N

Doneldon

Brick-

The lifting tender wires seem to be a problem on just about every steam engine the B'man builds. There are two fixes: One, add some weight to the front of the tender and two, change the wires so they twist along their own axis in a vertical plane. Adding the weight is a good idea even if there are no derailing problems. My sense is that the best fix is doing both, with the orientation of the wires being the more important action.
                                                                                                                                                                                      -- D