News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Traction Issues

Started by RJP, November 22, 2013, 07:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJP

I have two locomotives both suffering from the same problem... the rubber band-like ring that provides traction keeps breaking causing the engine to slip and lose power when going up a hill. My first question is to learn an easy way to replace the ruined "traction tire" since I cannot find a way to maneuver the new o-ring around the chassis and on to the wheel of the locomotive. The second question is to find out where to find the proper "traction tires". I have read that dental bands can sometimes be used but I'm not sure of the right size. I'm hoping that someone with experience with this issue can offer assistance.
Thanks,
RJP

brokemoto

The first question is what are the locomotives?  Some manufacturers do offer traction tyres for their locomotives.
Stewart/Virnex offers generic traction tyres.  You may have to stretch them a bit before you try to get them onto the drivers.

Another possibility is a product called Bullfrog Snot.  While I have purchased a bottle,  I have yet to try it.  Other users have been happy with it.

Desertdweller

Many years ago I bought a traction tire replacement kit.  Included along with the little circular rubber bands was an aluminum mandrel that looked like a large bullet.

The mandrel was held against the outer face of the wheel with the pointed end facing away from the wheel.
The rubber band was started over the pointed end of the "bullet" and rolled toward the wheel.  The part held against the wheel was flat.

If you keep the rubber band straight while it is being rolled, it will pop off the mandrel and onto the wheel, where it can easily be seated in the groove on the wheel.

I don't use traction tires much anymore.  Models without them, with sufficient weight, seem to pull much better.

Les

James in FL

That's a bit general, you got to be a little more specific, you got to say what lokies need them.

Also the possibility a tire from a different manufacturer's model may fit yours.

Do you have any old ones to measure against?

What is Driver diameter?

brokemoto

Quote from: Desertdweller on November 24, 2013, 07:13:22 PM
Many years ago I bought a traction tire replacement kit.  Included along with the little circular rubber bands was an aluminum mandrel that looked like a large bullet.
I don't use traction tires much anymore.  Models without them, with sufficient weight, seem to pull much better.

Les

What you bought was the Stewart/Virnex traction tyre tool.  The manufacturer intended it for use on diseasels.  It will work on extremely low drivered steam such as the MDC/Athearn 1880s 2-8-0, the B-mann or Atlas 4-4-0, the Atlas 2-6-0.  It might work on the Bachpersonn USRA 0-6-0.  It will not work on drivers the size of the Bachmann SPECTRUM 2-8-0 or larger.

Most N scale diseasel models offered since the early 1990s have had all wheel drive and have been of sufficient weight and balance that they do not need traction tyres. 

Steam, on the other hand, seems to be a different story.  It seems that you  need at least one driver pair with traction tyres.  The Kato 2-8-2 and the MP 2-8-2, 4-6-2 and 4-4-0 all showed up on the market without traction tyres.  They all proved to be anemic pullers.  Traction tyres improved the pulling power markedly.  MP learned this and issued its 2-6-0 with traction tyres.  The mistake that MP did make was not having an all wheels live tender.  The traction tyre tends to compromise the electrical contact to the point that it can cause the locomotive to stall at speeds below thirty five SMPH.  B-mann figured this out and issued its SPECTRUM power with all wheels live tenders.  The all wheels live tender corrects contact problems.

The Kato and MP were anemic pullers despite the metal boilers.  Kato has a plastic boiler, but the space is filled mostly with pot metal.  Weight alone, does not seem to give steam adequate pulling power.