News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Peter Witt DCC vs DC

Started by ebtnut, December 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtnut

Yardmaster:  I have Peter Witt, which I have had programmed to run on DCC, and it runs well.  However, I now want to run it on the club pike which is planning to go to DCC but is currently DC and it won't budge, light up, or anything.  Do I need to take it apart and put in the dummy jumper to get it to run on DC? 

HOART

I don't understand what you are reporting .I have two HO Peter Witt street cars .They came DCC powered .I did not have to program anthing except the address .If mine are placed on DC power they run just fine . However ,they do require more power to operate .
Hope you get them running okay .Art

ebtnut

I don't know yet what the issue is.  I haven't had a chance to try the unit again on a DCC layout to see if it still runs that way.  Weather permitting, I hope to have that opportunity tomorrow night during one of our club's round-robin operating sessions. 

richg

Quote from: ebtnut on December 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM
Yardmaster:  I have Peter Witt, which I have had programmed to run on DCC, and it runs well.  However, I now want to run it on the club pike which is planning to go to DCC but is currently DC and it won't budge, light up, or anything.  Do I need to take it apart and put in the dummy jumper to get it to run on DC? 

It would make sense to put in the DC adapter.

You can always reset the decoder to factory specs. I have done that at times. Always has worked for me.
Don't have any Bachmann decoders though.

Rich

Br 98.75

It need to have the dual power mode turned on threw dcc programong

railtwister

Quote from: ebtnut on December 06, 2013, 03:21:21 PM

Hello ebtnut,

Is it possible that when it was programmed to run on DCC, the analog operation option was changed to DCC only? Usually the factory default will allow the decoder to operate on DC out of the box, but many DCC operators disable the analog feature to prevent accidental runaways when running on DCC.

Restoring the decoder settings to factory defaults should fix this, but you will lose any custom DCC settings you may have programmed into your decoder. Another option would be to look up the CV and the value that controls analog operation and reset it individually to allow DC operation. If you have access to a computer with JMRI DecoderPro software and an interface such as the SPROG II, this task is very easy.

Bill in FtL

ebtnut

Guys:  Thanks for the input.  It is possible that when the unit got programmed for a specific address that the DC option may have been turned off.  I didn't do it; it was done at a friend's who has a DCC layout.  Weather permitting, I plan to take the car back there Thursday night and have him check the CV's.  I initally wasn't going to worry about DC since the trolley line at the club is ultimately planned to be DCC.  However, it looks like its going to take longer than planned to do the DCC, and I want to be able to run the car to test the track and overhead in the meantime.  Right now we're using the Bachmann Birney but it came without the decoder installed (it's in the box) so it does just fine on the DC.