How do I remove RS-3 shell?

Started by dennisbeanlarson, December 12, 2013, 12:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisbeanlarson

I have a new HO Bachmann RS-3 with factory sound. I need to add some weight to the loco and I can't quite see how to remove the shell. I have removed both couplers and covers. What's next?

bapguy

Remove the fuel tank. There should be 2 screws that need to be removed. The only place I see to add weight is in the cab. To the right of Ask the Bach-Man is the parts & service icon. Click on this and click on parts. Click HO and scroll down to the RS3. Click on the RS3 bellow the photo for a list of parts. Look at the chassis photo   and you'll see what the weight looks like.  Joe

dennisbeanlarson

Yes, I found the disassembly schematic and I popped off the cab, tho there is also some room behind the footboards and over the coupler boxes.

Looks like there is plenty of room to add lead inside the cab without completely obscuring the windows. I will have to cut some solid lead pieces to fit below the windows and completely across the roof. I could use powdered lead and CA in the roof I suppose. I had previously used Frog Snot on one axle on the rear truck. I think I'll clean that off and put new frog snot on the rear axle of the front truck so it's closer to this addl weight.

I want to use this locomotive single on a club layout that has a fairly steep helix and one nasty little grade in hidden staging. I haul pulpwood in 40' gons and the pulpwood is real maple twigs so the loads are actually pretty heavy. Last night was the first full operation and I needed two additional 9V batteries taped to the engine to make those grades. Pretty sure these changes will work. Thanks for your help.

dennisbeanlarson

I've cut some blocks of lead to fit up into the roof of the cab and into both of the sides. A 9V battery weighs 46g and the lead weights I've fashioned total 56g for all three. I can probably get another 10-15g up behind the footboards. That's gonna be substantially about it unless I want to fill in behind the cab's windows.