News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding Lights to a N scale locomtive?

Started by Vermontergeorge, December 12, 2013, 09:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermontergeorge

I just purchased two Bachman N scale train sets.  The locomotives are 0-6-0, can I add lights?  The Yard Boss and Southern Belle.  Thanks.  

12/15/13  Good news!!  I was able to add lights!!  I removed two LEDs from an old Bachman Trolley.   I removed the plastic bodies from the locomotives and taped the LED R and L leads to the metal bodies, drilled holes for the "headlights" and replaced the plastic bodies.   The LEDs are bright!!  Yes not exactly scale but it's my train set and I wanted lights!!  So easy!!!   Just shows what a little ingenuity and flexible fingers can achieve.   I tried uploading pics but the "file is full"???    

Mike C

Those locos aren't set up for lighting. I think it could be done but it would be difficult. I havn't seen anyone add lighting to one of these yet so you would be the Guinea pig on this one  ;D ....Mike

richg

If you are electrically and mechanically capable, it might be done.
You will need surface mount LED's and a 1k, 1/8 watt resistor. That will limit the current to about 9 ma. I made measurements in the past.
Wiring will have to be magnet wire. Number 44 magnet wire will work.
A pin vise and tiny drill bit might help you drill out the inside of the present headlight fixture but I have no idea on what diameter the headlight fixture is.
I use a 1k resistor for LED's using DCC or decoder outputs.

Rich

Albert in N

Not all steam locomotives used headlights during the daytime, especially on branch lines in rural areas.  From memory of my childhood, I can remember seeing freight locomotives and even steam switchers operating without headlights during daylight.  Looking at books with photos of steam locomotives, some were running with headlights off.  Even some videos show light off.   Real steam locomotives were loud and puffed a lot of smoke and steam, so people were aware of their presence.  Also, the headlights usually required small steam-powered generators which required maintenance, plus used steam from the main boiler.  My Bachmann prairie 2-6-2 does not have a headlight, but no problem since the real small prairies probably seldom lit up during daytime.