News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

First Impressions

Started by show33, December 29, 2013, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

show33

So, let me tell you something you already know...trains are a lot of fun

Been lurking and posting on here for a couple of months. Finally got a around to setting up my table and starter set last night.

Digital Commander set was easy to set up and performed beautifully out of the box, really impressed by the overall quality and the DCC set up.

But, that wasn't the best part of last night...my 12 year old son and I spent at least four hours together running the trains and having a great time together. The only time we took a break was to get online and order some more track!

Don't usually like the phrase "quality time", but that is what my son and I spent together yesterday - we talked a lot, not just about trains and really enjoyed hanging out together. If this is a by-product of getting back into trains then I am really excited about the possibility of spending time with my kids as we get into trains together.

Thanks to all for your advice getting me up and running, made a great start to the hobby so far.

Jerrys HO

Show

What a great post. Glad to hear everything went smooth out the box. :)
This is a great opportunity to get your son involved in the process of building the layout and expanding in the future as it will teach him numerous skills from carpentry to electrical to architectural designing. If not he's still having fun and so are you. ;)
Now time to start posting some pics of your adventure.
Remember one thing IT is YOUR RAILROAD do as you wish.  8)

Jerry

jbrock27

This is great to hear.  Certainly hope this continues! Glad to have you aboard and you're welcome for any small help I can ever provide.  That is the great thing about being here, there is a ton of good helpers out there.
Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

i HAve grandsons  and they are around 4 to 5 years old  and i can have total control how they act .    i let them hit the sound buttons and run a train  with grandpas help .   all they want to do is come to grandpas house to play with him and hes trains .  IM proud To be  grandpa.  when they get older i will teach them more technical stuff .   xmas was great  they didnt even want to play with what they got   but with grandpa          grandapa   DAve

Doneldon

show-

How lucky you are to have discovered one of the best parts about model railroading: the way it can bring loved ones together to share an experience. I'm pretty sure that's what keeps some MRs working their pikes. I was lucky enough to have had that with my sons and now my grandsons. My granddaughter shows more interest in reading, so I'll dig up some Thomas stories and start my subversive plan.
                                                                                                                                                                          -- D

K487

"My granddaughter shows more interest in reading, so I'll dig up some Thomas stories and start my subversive plan."  You twicky wascal. :)

DougC