Bachmann Chattanooga locomotive doesn't move

Started by gunner6165, December 28, 2013, 02:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunner6165

My son got the Chattanooga train set for Christmas.  HO scale, non-DCC, USRA 0-6-0 locomotive with smoke.

Track is fine, it'll run other trains with no issues.  Locomotive doesn't work.  One thing I noticed is the wheels on the locomotive will not turn at all, tried with my finger.  Don't know if that is an issue with the steam locos, the others in my collection are diesel/electrics, their wheels turn when i use my fingers to make them turn.

Any and all help before I send it back is greatly appreciated.

Dennis

Ken G Price

As I have never had an engine where I could turn the wheels by hand I hope some one will be able to help you.

Now, if I remove the shell and turn the motor by hand the wheels will move, but not otherwise.

Does the engine get power to it? Do the lights work?
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

gunner-

The wheels on your loco should NOT move when you try to roll them. Don't even try because you will destroy the drive mechanism if you are successful. Your train should run if the track and power are okay as you say. You might have dirty wheels, a broken wire of any number of things. I'd return the set to the place of purchase for a replacement. And check the new one in the store.

Bachmann's warranty applies but this is the absolutely worst time of the year for that. Ordinarily Bachmann service does an excellent job. Just before and for six to eight weeks after Christmas, however, they get seriously overloaded. So try your retailer first.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

gunner6165

Quote from: Ken G Price on December 28, 2013, 02:52:22 PM
Does the engine get power to it? Do the lights work?
Ken, no lights, no nothing.  I have run other trains on the track, and they work fine.  My son loves your layout.

Quote from: Doneldon on December 28, 2013, 06:20:57 PM
gunner-

The wheels on your loco should NOT move when you try to roll them. Don't even try because you will destroy the drive mechanism if you are successful. Your train should run if the track and power are okay as you say. You might have dirty wheels, a broken wire of any number of things. I'd return the set to the place of purchase for a replacement. And check the new one in the store.

Bachmann's warranty applies but this is the absolutely worst time of the year for that. Ordinarily Bachmann service does an excellent job. Just before and for six to eight weeks after Christmas, however, they get seriously overloaded. So try your retailer first.
                                                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

Thanks Doneldon, i figured they'd be overloaded because of the holiday.  I'll try taking it back, obviously the package was opened, they may frown on that.  If they don't, I'll be opening it up and see what's under there.

Thanks again for the info.  Keep suggestions coming.

RAM

I would say bracken connection, or motor brush not making connection.