News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 44 ton Switcher DCC

Started by DHM, January 07, 2014, 01:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHM

My switcher has run "iffy' at best since I got it. Now it runs continuously in one direction and will not stop unless I turn the power off. I have been using the 03 address and have tried programing CV 8 to 8 to reset factory settings, but this has not helped. Any thoughts or HELP would be appreciated. DHM

jonathan

DHM,

I don't know which DCC system you have, but your symptom indicates there are too many addresses stored in our system's memory.  Locomotives will get a mind of their own when this happens.  Check you system's instructions for clearing the memory.

For what it's worth, my 44-tonner started out smooth and quiet.  It still runs well, but now has a small, disctintive rattly noise when running.  My quess is the teeny tiny gears wear down over time and start to get a bit noisy, even with lubrication.

Regards,

Jonathan

richg

The 44 ton are know to develop a cracked gear. Mine did. I returned it for a replacement.
Below is the diagram for this loco. Pretty simple drive. I took mine apart.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/62201.pdf

Rich

Br 98.75

Replace the whole pc board and decoder with another brand (i used digitrax on several) it works alot better.

richg

Pull the decoder and insert the two metal clips. This will run the loco on DC to see if the noise is in the gears.

Rich

JRG1951

How in the world will a cracked gear cause the loco to run wide open in one direction? You have a DCC decoder problem, a wiring problem, or a programming problem. If this is the only engine that has this problem.
1. Then Reset the decoder.
2. Check the wiring harness for shorts or damaged insulation.
3. If you can then purge the DCC command station of all stored Addresses
4. Remove the decoder and replace with a known decoder.

What type of command station do you have?

Regards John ****************

A couple more generations and we will have the knob holders bred out of the gene pool...); <> Benny

DHM

I have a MRC Prodigy Advanced/2, I doubt if it is overloaded with only a dozen engines on it.