News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K4 Instruction Manual

Started by srevac, January 04, 2014, 05:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srevac

I recently pruchased a new k4 4-6-2 #84013 DCC and I have a couple of questions.  It did not come with a printed manual; and has an extra "chip" enclosed with it.  What is it for?  Second:  does the tender only attach to the engine with the plugs and wires that run between the tender and the engine?  Is there a manual available on line/  Thanks

richg

If the loco came in a box, the single page diagram will be in the bottom of the box.
There ia a six pin DC adapter that plugs into the eight pin socket in the tender. That is not a chip.
The diagram for the loco is in the Parts page.
DCC info also.
Do yourself a favor and look over ALL the Bachmann pages.
There should be a draw bar between the loco and tender.
Almost sounds like you got a used loco.

Rich

Doneldon

srevac-

Your box, assuming you have one, has a false bottom which conceals your manual. If you don't have
one, here's an exploded view of your loco:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H844X-IS00.PDF

-- D

srevac

Quote from: richg on January 04, 2014, 06:04:57 PM
If the loco came in a box, the single page diagram will be in the bottom of the box.
There ia a six pin DC adapter that plugs into the eight pin socket in the tender. That is not a chip.
The diagram for the loco is in the Parts page.
DCC info also.
Do yourself a favor and look over ALL the Bachmann pages.
There should be a draw bar between the loco and tender.
Almost sounds like you got a used loco.

Rich

Thanks.  It's not used.  I have the box and single page blowup.  What does the 6 pin adapter do?  There is a draw bar between the engine and tender, but I really don't see how to use it easily.  Is it supposed to attach and unattach easily or hook up sort-of permanently? 

richg

Again, the six pin device you plug into the eight pin socket in the tender to run the loco on DC. It is sometimes called a DC adapter.
I found the below for the K4 DCC ready and do not see a pin to fit into the drawbar that is attached to the loco with a screw. The Bachmann diagram is for the sound version.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Spectrum_K4_Post_War_4-6-2/Bachmman_Spectrum_K4_Post_War_4-6-2.html

My 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 have the drabar attached to the loco with a screw. The tenders have a pin that plus into a hole in the drabar.

If you posted a photo of the bottom of the loco and tender, it might help. Did the loco come with anything that looks like a drawbar?
Many questions could be answered here a little quicker if people would learn to take photos and post them.

Below is a link to the 4-4-0, DCC ready tender. You can clearly see the six pin adapter.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_440_DCC-tender.pdf

Rich

hawaiiho

Quote from: Doneldon on January 04, 2014, 11:15:16 PM
srevac-

Your box, assuming you have one, has a false bottom which conceals your manual. If you don't have
one, here's an exploded view of your loco:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H844X-IS00.PDF

-- D

I, too, received a new K-4 without a printed manual and I assure you it was NOT under the false bottom. I am not saying this was the

case with this one, but it most certainly was with my K-4, so, it would not surprise me in the least. However, as you say, the exploded view is

available on line.

Doneldon

hi-ho:

I believe you. Bachmann's quality control isn't what it should be. I think having the paperwork under the false bottom probably contributes to the problem because it isn't glaringly obvious that it's missing at final inspection time. It would be great if Bachmann and other manufacturers put all of their documentation on line. Then there would be no question about whether it's in the box. It would be easy to update, save the manufacturers some money and even allow non-English speakers to get the material translated into a language they know.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on January 05, 2014, 05:28:00 PM
hi-ho:

I believe you. Bachmann's quality control isn't what it should be. I think having the paperwork under the false bottom probably contributes to the problem because it isn't glaringly obvious that it's missing at final inspection time. It would be great if Bachmann and other manufacturers put all of their documentation on line. Then there would be no question about whether it's in the box. It would be easy to update, save the manufacturers some money and even allow non-English speakers to get the material translated into a language they know.
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

See also my post under the "General" tag regarding the Spectrum range.