News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FA-2. Intermittent Power Loss

Started by rogertra, January 03, 2014, 09:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

Anyone else experience intermittent power loss on their DCC + Sound FA-2?

One of mine will run for a few minutes and then stop and go silent.  One of my FA-2s  and other units in the same consist keep running and will drag the dead FA-2 for a foot or two or three and then the dead FA-2 will start running again.  Running solo, not in consist, it does the same thing.  Runs for a while then stops and goes silent.  Pushing unit back and forth a few times gets it going again so I suspect poor electrical connection somewhere.

I've removed the shell, not easy as the front coupler pocket is longer than the shell and requires very careful flexing of the pilot (Bachmann please note) and can see no obvious loose wires etc..

Next task is to open up the trucks and check the pressure of the power pick-ups on the backs of the wheels and make sure they have enough pressure keep in contact while the engine is running.   Haven't yet figured out how to gain access to the trucks.  A little Googling is in order to find the data sheet.

Any other help would be gratefully rec'd.

BTW, when I reassemble the unit, I shall be removing the leading edge of the chassis coupler box enough so that it will easily slip inside the shell.  Again, Bachmann please note.

jbrock27

From the diagram found on the site here, it looks like the sideframes for both sides, are all one (square) piece and they snap down when you press in the tabs at the front and rear of the truck.  Much like is shown in the Bachmann on line video on "how to lube your locomotive" and what I have for a set up on a Walthers locomotive I have.
I am sorry I don't have any thoughts on what is causing the intermittent power loss, but I would imagine once you can get the truck apart, you will be able to see what's what.

I found Tony Cook's review of the FA-2 w/sound on YouTube-it's a nice loco.  Good luck with it!
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 03, 2014, 10:33:43 PM
From the diagram found on the site here, it looks like the sideframes for both sides, are all one (square) piece and they snap down when you press in the tabs at the front and rear of the truck.  Much like is shown in the Bachmann on line video on "how to lube your locomotive" and what I have for a set up on a Walthers locomotive I have.
I am sorry I don't have any thoughts on what is causing the intermittent power loss, but I would imagine once you can get the truck apart, you will be able to see what's what.

I found Tony Cook's review of the FA-2 w/sound on YouTube-it's a nice loco.  Good luck with it!

Thanks Jim.

I'll check out all the above suggestions and report back once I've solved the problem.

I agree it's a nice loco.  I've added a few CNR details to mine and given them a slight weathering.  Oh, and numbers as as well.  :)

jbrock27

...in fact, it looks like one of the models the gentleman is working on in the vid, is an FT unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW8Gx_WxL4

From about 6:40 on in the video on how to pop off the sideframes.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jbrock27

Yes, I noticed 1 poster to the Tony Cook video made a complaint of "what, no numbers??" I thought Cook gave a nice history of the makers of the model over the years.

You're welcome Roger.  I hope it is a simple solution for you.
Keep Calm and Carry On

rogertra

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 03, 2014, 10:58:46 PM
...in fact, it looks like one of the models the gentleman is working on in the vid, is an FT unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtW8Gx_WxL4

From about 6:40 on in the video on how to pop off the sideframes.

Thanks for the link Jim

Doneldon

Roger-

The intermittent operation you describe, with spontaneous recovery, makes me wonder if at least part of your problem might relate to heat. Could some part of the pick-up system be flexing when hot and then flexing back when it cools? Also, does this happen on the same stretch of track or over different track sections? Last, do your other locos have any problems at the places where your FA goes out?
                                                                                                                                                                              -- D

rogertra

Doneldon.

Been working all day today, just came home for a break and going back into work shortly for a 22:30 shift.

Hadn't thought about where contact is lost but it's a good point.  I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.

BTW, no other loco has this issue.  So it could be a combination of poor track power supply and poor pick up on the loco.

rogertra

Took engine from tracks, removed body, check for loose or poor electrical connections, none found.  Put loco on track and let it run for an hour or so, no problems.  Not a clue what was wrong with it so I put body back on and it seems to be running fine.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On