News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by chickendevil, August 24, 2007, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chickendevil

I have just purchased my first train set. I also bought some freight cars from Model Power. I have just learned that there is a difference!
Can I change the couplers on the Model Power cars to work with the EZ-mate ones on my Bachmann set?

djp

If i am not mistaken, Model Power comes with horn hook couplers. You can replace those with Kadee #5 couplers. They are a wee bit expensive compared to Bachmann EZ mate couplers but being made of metal will last you for a long time.
Get Off My Train !!!

Len

The fastest way to convert the cars is a pack of Kadee #212 Talgo adapters and some EZ-Mate MK-II couplers. The talgo adapters fill in the difference between the small pin in the coupler box and the large hole in the EZ-Mate couplers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bevernie

www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

PhilipCal

The Bachman EZ Mate is a fine coupler, but I recommend you make KD your friend for any further conversion projects. As noted, they're a little more expensive, but virtually indestructable in normal use.

Flashwave

Horn Hook couplers can also be wedged into the knuckle on KD and other couplers and you'll darn near need to run the train through inverted-corckscrewing-Loop for those to THINK about letting go.

Woody Elmore

The Model Power website indicates that new production has knuckle couplers. Items can be ordered directly from them.