how bachmann stands up to the competition.

Started by jward, January 11, 2014, 12:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

Just thought I'd post this video I found showing how a Bachmann gp30 compares to lifelike and kato. what I find interesting is how well a gp30 with no flywheel stacks up against a flywheel equipped loco. the video locos are running on dc, so there is no electronic compensation done to smooth things out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BeHhmPf_cek
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Ken G Price

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

ebtbob

Jward,

I have several Bachmann diesels.   Two have dcc but no sound.   They both run like Swiss clocks,   The other 6 engines have dcc and factory installed sound.   Except for the basic generic detailing,   for the price,  these engines are a steal.  I love my Bachmann engines in HO scale but can remember a time not that long ago that they were iffy at best.   Because of that many people who come into the train store where I work partime still do not want to invest in Bachmann.   You know what I say to that?  "More Bachmann engines for me to buy.
My two non sound engines I use to pull my track cleaning trains equipped with the Bachmann track cleaning tank cars.   Those two engines probably already have close to 100 hours of run time.  The long and short of it is that Bachmann has improved the quality and selection sooooo much,  that I feel sorry for those who still turn up their noses at what Bachmann offers today's model railroaders.   BTW.....earlier I mentioned my HO scale engines.   That was done because all but two of my On30 engines and 95% of my On30 rolling stock are from Bachmann and I love that stuff!!  Keep up the good work Bachmann!!
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

ebtbob

Ken Price,

I see that you are an N scale railroader doing western roads such as the UP.   If you go to YouTube,  put the name Bill Fagan in the search box and take a look at his N scale model railroad.   What you will see there is a railroad,  that at the time Bill filmed it,  was less than 2 years old.   BTW.....if you are interested,  put my name,  Bob Rule, Jr. in the search box.   Bill has upload 4 or 5 different views of my HO/HOn3 and On30 railroads.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jbrock27

Yep, caught this about a year or so ago.  Darth posted a bit on one of the other train forums.   He has not posted much on the Tube since this one.
The comparison to the Life Like was a no brainer; what impressed me was the comparison to the KATO after all the praise that is written about the KATOs.   
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the real eye opener is that the Bachmann without a flywheel ran comparable to the kato with flywheels. to me that says it all.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

The Bachmann locomotives I bought ran flawlessly out of the box.  I have re-build a  few of them to as closely as possible, to what steam on the New Haven would have looked like, and have installed DCC Tsunami decoders w/ sound in those that did not have it.  I have not been disappointed.   BTW:  This is the direct result of competition in this industry!  Good work, Bachmann.
Rich C.